JRF in Thailand

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

I've been meaning to post these for quite a while, but have been too lazy to do it... seems that JRF, SRT (State Railways of Thailand) and the Japanese Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport have been toying with the idea of using special ISO adapters to permit Japanese containers to travel to and from Thailand.

Cheers NB

post-283-0-45458100-1469810370_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-45293600-1469810371_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-35428700-1469810372_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-28453800-1469810373_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like the 20 foot ones are but the 12 foot ones aren't (probably since they were never intended for use outside of Japan). I guess Kokis are more more complicated than they seen if they can carry more than one width. 

I remember reading that the Japanese style containers were designed to fit the cape gauge network in one direction, and when rotated 90 degrees would fit into standard gauge cars for the shinkansen network, although apparently the shinkansen freight service never got beyond the planing stages.

I'm curious why the Japanese containers weren't built to ISO standards in the first place?

To fit loading gauges and tunnels etc. ISO don't fit in enough of jrf track. Also a lot of coastal transport to move ISOs around closer.

Jeff

Since the current ISO standard was completed in '68 and Japan hard been using their own containers since the 50s.  Does Japans container system pre date the ISO system then?

Edited by katoftw
Nick_Burman

Since the current ISO standard was completed in '68 and Japan hard been using their own containers since the 50s.  Does Japans container system pre date the ISO system then?

Yes.

Cheers NB