Central Japan 2-day ticket

Hello all,

Today, JR Central released the announcement that it's releasing an all-you-can-ride ticket for two days for ¥8480 (children: ¥3990). This includes not only the entire JR Central narrow gauge (zairaisen) network, but also 16 private companies:

- Izuhakone Railway (Sunzu-line);

- Gakunan Railway;
- Shizuoka Railway;
- Tenryū Hamanako Railroad;
- Enshū Railway;
- Toyohashi Railroad;
- Aichi Circular Railway;
- Tōkai Transport Service Jōhoku Line;
- Yōrō Railway;
- Tarumi Railway;
- Ohmi Railway;
- Myongji Railway;
- Nagaragawa Railway;
- Nagoya Waterfront Area Rapid Transit;
- Sangi Railway (Hokusei-line);
- Ise Railway.

Ltd. Express trains can be boarded unlimited with the purchase of a Ltd. Express surcharge. However, Shinkansen can only be boarded between Atami and Maibara four times in total and only include Kodama and Hikari services.

Tickets sales will be start from the 29th of this month and will be valid on weekends and national holidays, with the exceptions of April 27th until May 6th, August 11th until 20th, and December 28th until January 1st. 

Read more (important and less important info) here: http://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/_pdf/000031204.pdf

--

Personally, I'm not too interested in this offer, but I wouldn't be surprised to make use of it one day (two actually). A ride on the Iida line seems attractive, though I'm not sure about a two-way run of each about 7 hours, so this might more be suited to a Seishun-18 trip. The Shinkansen inclusion is nice for those wanting to explore the more obscure companies in the area, and also handy to get to the far points quickly, though the extra costs can add up quickly when using Ltd. Express and/or Shinkansen combined with this ticket.
  • Like 1

I wonder if the area of validity for the Shinkansen was increased, it would be more attractive pass to all including the larger areas of Japan.  As in using the whole Tokaido Shinkansen Line Shin-Osaka to Tokyo, and not just Atami to Maibara.

Does the info sheet state where the pass can be purchased?

I wonder if the area of validity for the Shinkansen was increased, it would be more attractive pass to all including the larger areas of Japan.  As in using the whole Tokaido Shinkansen Line Shin-Osaka to Tokyo, and not just Atami to Maibara.

This pass is intended purely for the JR Tōkai Zairaisen area and not the Shinkansen. The Shinkansen is probably only included for the purpose of connecting quickly to distant areas, instead of acting like a cheap alternative for the entire Tōkaidō Shinkansen. I was already surprised to see the Shinkansen included anyway, so it wasn't surprising to me JR Tōkai is asking a surcharge upon this pass to travel quicker.

Does the info sheet state where the pass can be purchased?

"フリー区間内のJR東海の主な駅及び主な旅行会社の支店・営業所"

Available within the free-zone of JR Tōkai at major train stations, travel sales offices and branch sales offices. It's a pass that won't work in the automatic gates and can't be purchased at the private railway companies.

Edited by Kabutoni