What is this facility?

Hi Kato,

I think I found the rail access, if you go south from the double crossover it appears that there are no buffers on that track and they go into a tunnel.  Looking at the rolling stock and layouts, I suspect it is a maintenance yard, perhaps for Osaka Subway?

Playing armchair railfan here though :)

It's the rolling stock storage yard for the Osaka Subway trains operating on the Tanimachi Line. Dainichi Station, the easternmost station on this line, is right next to this yard.

(EDIT: the official name of that depot is the Osaka Municipal Transportation Bureau Dainichi Inspection Depot (大阪市交通局大日検車場))

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1

Interesting! It seems that many metro systems have overground maintenance facilities like these with an underground access route. Quickly from the top of my head in the Tokyo area, the combined Toei Asakusa/Oedo line Magome facility, the Marunouchi line Nakano facility, and the Ginza line Ueno facility spring to mind.

Chiyoda line/Kita-Ayase too.

OTOH IIRC the Tozai line has an entirely underground depot with housing built on top? Or maybe the Yurakocho line? Or both?

Chiyoda line/Kita-Ayase too.

IIRC the Kita-Ayase depot is entirely elevated and has an elevated access line which is served by three-car trains from the 05 Series via the Kita-Ayase Branch Line (北綾瀬支線).

IIRC the Kita-Ayase depot is entirely elevated and has an elevated access line which is served by three-car trains from the 05 Series via the Kita-Ayase Branch Line (北綾瀬支線).

Whoops, I had reduced the criteria to "below-ground line with above-ground depot".

Which reminds me, somewhere recently (either on TV or in a magazine), I saw a report on Tokyo Metro's training centre, which has two full-length (IIRC) fake stations.

The deport just north of Kita-Ayase Station on the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line is probably the easiest to find of the Tokyo Metro Subway train depots. Mind you, I believe you have to change trains at Ayase Station to a separate train just to reach Kita-Ayase, since Chiyoda Line subway trains either terminate at Ayase Station or continue on via the all-local service part of the JR East Jōban Line all the way to Toride Station, the operational north end of 1,500 V DC overhead power service on that line.