The Yamanote Line in 4K

Jcarlton

Looking at the video again, it occurred to me that the train must be the E235.  Otherwise, why would there be so many people taking pics at every stop. 

Looking at the video again, it occurred to me that the train must be the E235.  Otherwise, why would there be so many people taking pics at every stop. 

Yap I wanted to ask this question... There seems to be many people taking photos and I wonder why they would take photo of the Yamanote train as it is so common, now unless of course if it is the new E235 that would make much sense...

By the way, I love the quality on the video... 4K is really nice and feels like you are riding it yourself! 

Two observations - the driver's console/control panel seems wide than the current trains; the set number in the window is "01", which is what the E235 set seems to carry from a quick search engine check.

Hello,

BTW, the seemingly abandoned platform that appears on the right at 3:50 is actually the now defunct Harajuku Imperial Private Platform. 原宿駅・皇室専用ホー.  It was last used about 15 years ago and has fallen into disrepair.  These days, on the rare occasions the Imperial Train has been used, it has operated out of Ueno station.

Looks like it. I guess the line ties into the Tokaido, but not into any other Tkyu lines so the train uses JREast to get to Tokyo. 

Super video! What still surprises me are the short station distances. The trains are around 220 meters long and the smallest distances are 500 meters. That's roughly 280 meters of track between platform ends. The trains have little chance to speed up in so short distances.

Two observations - the driver's console/control panel seems wide than the current trains; the set number in the window is "01", which is what the E235 set seems to carry from a quick search engine check.

Confirmed. I found a picture from the Getty Images website of the E235 driver's instrument panel and it matched exactly what you see in the video.

• Like 1

Great trip, I love the density of trains, often 4 in one shot! Reminds me of what I loved about riding in to Tokyo on the Narita Express.

By the way, when this train is about to leave Tokyo Station, did you notice the announcement for anyone to stand clear of the train is in both Japanese and English? First time I heard it this way.

That Izukyu 2100 Series train leaving Tokyo Station is one of the very occasional times a train from that company goes all the way to Tokyo from its normal operations in the Izu Peninsula. Normally, when you take a direct train from Tokyo of Shinjuku Station to go down the Izu Peninsula, it's just about all JR East EMU's (185 Series, 251 Series, and occasionally E259 Series).