Bullet Trains: why are they Taboo? Posted by Bernard in another forum

to2leo

I always think Bernard is a very observant and not afraid to ask type of person.  I just want to show you how he got a number of interesting reaction from some N. American N scalers' view on Japanese n gauge.

Bernard has posted the question, "Bullet Trains: why are they Taboo?" in America.  Pleae feel free to click on for the responses

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=110944

I got to say, I never learn so much in my hobby!

Thanks Bernard  :headbang:

What an interesting question.

I read a few of the responses and they seemed pretty plausible.

Its funny as I have now 2 layouts running at home. One is my shinkansen themed layout in N and right next to it is my Australian/NSW based HO layout. I was running them both last night - 2 mainlines on each layout and it was very interesting too watch them operate in the same room and I realised how diversified my interests had become.

Considering a few years ago if you had told me that I would be running a JR based layout in N I would of laughed.

I think it really depends on where you reside to see how what themed railroad reigns. The US - 260mil + people there is going to be a strong influence on the local prototype. Here in Sydney, there are a few JR modellers but the majority are all either NSW/AUS HO, O or N scale ( mostly HO - which I do also ). The industry has boomed here in the last few years with many new models now being released which were considered ' unlikely ' years ago.

The JR range from the Kato. Tomix etc is amazing!! I was blown away when I started looking ....

I can at least say I have the best of both worlds here!! :grin

Darren Jeffries

I am not surprised at the responses. It is about doing what brings you nearer to what you imagine rail travel to be. For some its the Amtrak era of diesel and electric north american lines. For others its the HST, EMU and DMU era British outline. For the vast majority of british modellers its the steam era.

For me its Japanese lines... why? Because I am a geek at heart. I like technology, fast jets, bullet trains, computers etc... and Japan has the most technologically advanced and efficient rail system in the world. The same theory applies to why i only model Transport planes and Jets, and not WWII era aircraft.

Interesting, since I was allready registered there I post a comment in order to rectify some misinformation. I give you the short version:

"Bullet train are not just about speed or nothing. It might be more true in Japan but in Europe that's not the case. They often are mixed with other traffic (suburban, regional, suburban, freight...) and run also on normal lines.

[smg id=573]

Photo is not mne but is part of my personal library. I most certainly found it here: http://www.trains-en-voyage.com/forum/spot-circul/

Well to each is own, trains mean different things to different people. Trains mean memory's to some to others it means the technology, I pick the latter. Ive always liked technology and the Japanese seem to be on the cusp of technology when it comes to trains. Not to seem closed minded but it'll be a cold day in blazes when you see a Steam train on my layout. The only way there will be a steam train on my layout is if I make a diorama of a steam train doing an excursion trip (that dont seem like too bad of an idea lol).  

In fact, I think that the main reason why Bernard posted this thread on TB was to recruit new members for this forum. Am I right or am I right?  :grin

Hahaha disturbman, I think you are very observant too.  I am one of the TB members that was introduced to this forum.

I never really contribute that much over at TB because I feel I don't really fit into the group although there are some very nice members who will go to the depths to assist.

I think we often forget that even though we are all being grouped into the same hobby, we are a group with many many different interests.

But what is unique about this forum, IMHO, is the fact that many of us will look beyond our borders to appreciate other cultures too!

So Bernard, this is my answer to your question...

I love Japanese trains because they combine functions and forms. Japanese also prides its well kept, clean efficient railroad system.  But to many N. Americans, those elements were lost long time ago with the arrival of the American Dream of individualistic consumption.  Also, the neglect and under funding to many of the N. American transit and passenger railroad system do not help too!  As a result, running a passenger layout is something of a niche interest here...let alone running a Japanese train with a history and belief that is so different from what many of us are brought up with.

In fact, I think that the main reason why Bernard posted this thread on TB was to recruit new members for this forum. Am I right or am I right?  :grin

Disturbman

It did not strike me at all that way to me at all from Bernard's post over there. Its a issue that comes up all the time in non japanese train boards, with bullet trains being sneered at by many. Bernard was never trying to point out there were other boards for discussing japanese trains. side benefit of the discussion is that maybe a few of the japanese train enthusiasts may reach out and thus find jns, but bernard did not seem to be trolling to me at all.

cheers

jeff

I think Bernard simply let interested TB members know that there is this awesome forum here.  I think he is doing this as a friend. 

In terms of trolling, I think all online forums started by the words of mouth or words of net so it is not really anything wrong.

but he didnt mention jns in his posts, he must have done that when someone contacted him offline, which is cool.

cheers,

jeff

alpineaustralia

A common thread through all modellers is a sense of trying to capture a time that was past.

For the Nth American train modellers, they seem to be trying to capture a time gone by when life seemed simpler and trains had a bigger part to paly in the growth of Nth America.

Lets face it, for many of us, it is to relive a time when we travelled on japanese trains. How many of us got into Japanese trains only after having travelled on them on holidays or a business trip.

How many of us also run a European trains (eg TGV or Eurostar) because we either travelled on them or saw them as children etc?

serenityFan

A common thread through all modellers is a sense of trying to capture a time that was past.

For the Nth American train modellers, they seem to be trying to capture a time gone by when life seemed simpler and trains had a bigger part to paly in the growth of Nth America.

Lets face it, for many of us, it is to relive a time when we travelled on japanese trains. How many of us got into Japanese trains only after having travelled on them on holidays or a business trip.

How many of us also run a European trains (eg TGV or Eurostar) because we either travelled on them or saw them as children etc?

hahaha, Alpine is absolutely correct ... whilst other wishes to relive the steam era, I just want to go back to Japan  :grin :grin :grin

Both the TB thread and this one contain some very interesting opinions and ideas. I suspect that for many US prototype modellers, the appeal is exactly as AA suggests - the idealised representation of a simpler time in the past*. And for many Japanese prototype modellers, the appeal is the go-fast technology of today and the future as embodied by the Shinkansen.

So I don't know where I fit in. My preferred modelling era is the 80s, and my preferred style of railway is the mundane and commonplace. As much as I acknowledge how impressive the Shinkansen are in every respect, they don't appeal to me at all. I've never photographed one, nor do I have a model of one, nor will I ever get one. To me, they're just a quick and convenient way to get to where the "real" trains are.

But having said that, I don't denigrate anyone who chooses to model them, more power to all of you. I think the best part of our hobby is that it's a broad church, to use a well-worn cliche. In that spirit I thought it was worth pointing out there is at least one member of the forum who prefers prewar wooden-bodied EMUs and steam over Series 700s.

(* I personally don't regard the past as simpler, just complicated in a different way, and not intrinsically superior to the present.)

All the best,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

I'm not quite as philosophical about why I like the trains I do..

I like all trains.. Any era, any country, any type. Not sure why I'm mostly collecting Japanese trains, but I expect it's because of the huge diversity, interesting models, and the price also counts. I've never been to Japan, so I've never travelled on a Japanese train ;)

alpineaustralia
My preferred modelling era is the 80s, and my preferred style of railway is the mundane and commonplace.

Mark- what sort of trains are these. Can you post pictures (you always seem to post the best pictures!).

My preferred modelling era is the 80s, and my preferred style of railway is the mundane and commonplace.

Mark- what sort of trains are these. Can you post pictures (you always seem to post the best pictures!).

I think Mark and Subway might have similar interests in trains.

I grew up around US trains, and I guess its the old adage that 'familiarity breeds contempt', okay....contempt is too strong, just 'bored' might be appropriate :grin.  I'm much more interested in the uniqueness and excitement of trains from elsewhere, mainly Japan and Europe (and that maybe because I've been to both places and rode their trains?).

Thanks for the compliment, AA. All of my own Japanese pictures are on transparencies (35mm slides), but I haven't bought a slide scanner yet. So the best I can offer you is some photos taken by a friend of mine who visited Japan earlier this year, and some older photos sent by a contact in Japan.

The recent views are of the Yokohama tramway museum, and the Enoshima Railway.

3721698179_8f4dbe0998_o.jpg

3721697207_9d784a247f_o.jpg

3722508388_14fcef8f0d_o.jpg

3721695217_9aef3a0018_o.jpg

I'm very partial to tramways, especially those using older-style cars. And I'm fascinated by lines like the Enoden which are closely integrated with the towns they serve.

The older views show some scenes on the Hokuriku Railway Komatsu, Ishikawa and Asanogawa lines. Again, I'm fascinated by the simplicity of the rural lines, and the varied fleet of older rollingstock they used.

Cheers,

Mark.

post-23-13569922968335_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922969132_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922969827_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922970559_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922971406_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922972106_thumb.jpg

post-23-13569922972739_thumb.jpg

I'm much more interested in the uniqueness and excitement of trains from elsewhere, mainly Japan and Europe (and that maybe because I've been to both places and rode their trains?).

That's probably where my interest in European trains comes from--my interest in passenger railways is rooted in the experience of travelling.

[EDIT: Well, that sounded really pompous and overdone. I'll just leave it as a reminder that I occasionally need to shut up. :-/ Anyway--the point was that I like travelling by train, so I'm into passenger stuff that reminds me of that, rather than freight or whatever.]

3722508388_14fcef8f0d_o.jpg

Hey, somebody took my tram!

I'm very partial to tramways, especially those using older-style cars. And I'm fascinated by lines like the Enoden which are closely integrated with the towns they serve.

The older views show some scenes on the Hokuriku Railway Komatsu, Ishikawa and Asanogawa lines. Again, I'm fascinated by the simplicity of the rural lines, and the varied fleet of older rollingstock they used.

I'm leaning more and more that way, although my stock of models doesn't quite show that yet.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Mark--there's some great stuff there.

I love the power lines!

Me too! I don't quite know why, but that's another thing I find appealing about Japanese urban scenes, the insane ratmangle of overhead wires in every street.

I don't know whether you've been following the arguments about the proposed national high-speed broadband network, but I notice a frequent objection is that it will mean more overhead cabling. There seem to be a lot of people who object to that idea, but I'm not one of them.  :laugh:

All the best,

Mark.

That's probably where my interest in European trains comes from--my interest in passenger railways is rooted in the experience of travelling.

[EDIT: Well, that sounded really pompous and overdone. I'll just leave it as a reminder that I occasionally need to shut up. :-/ Anyway--the point was that I like travelling by train, so I'm into passenger stuff that reminds me of that, rather than freight or whatever.]

No, Scott, not pompous at all. I think that's a bloody good way to develop an interest. And in the end, it doesn't matter how you got interested, any and all reasons are valid.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Mark--there's some great stuff there.

My pleasure, Scott. I'm hoping to get a slide scanner later this year, so I can put up some of my own photos.

All the best,

Mark.

I have a few favourite train types and I am fascinated by the styling and the design of the Shinkansen because I have always liked the series 0 variant because to me the Blue Pullman driving cars are ever-so slightly based on that unit, but my other favourite Shinkansen trains are the JR700 sheerly for its ergomatic design and the JR500 for its sharp looks. But of all trains globally. My top three are:

British Rail Class 60 (British)

RENFE AVE 100 (Spanish)

JR West JR700 Hikari Railstar (Japanese)