E231-500s to be moved to the Chuo-Sobu Line

bikkuri bahn

The E231-500 units will undergo a rolling refurbishment program as they are cycled out of Yamanote Line service, with improved passenger information systems, and full compatibility with station platform doors (according to the JR East press release).

That part about the platform doors (in the press release) didn't make sense to me - surely they're compatible now, and as the Chuo-Sobu line currently doesn't have platform doors (no sign of them being added, not sure what the plans are), maybe they mean remove the whatever?

Anyway I wonder what will happen to the current Chuo-Sobu line trains? Displace 205s on the Musashino line?

Questions, questions.

bikkuri bahn

The wording is vague, relating to remodeling of a "security apparatus" compatible with platform doors.  Perhaps this refers to the TASC system (train automatic stop controller) which must be calibrated with the ATS/ATC system.

I'm actually kind of surprised JR East decided to refurbish the E231-500's. Given the fact the E231-500's have been subject to a LOT of stop-and-go operation on a daily basis since the early 2000's, the wear and tear on those trainsets could make the refurbishment project pretty expensive to accomplish before being re-assigned to the Chūō-Sōbu Line service, which is another line with a lot of stop and go operations. Wouldn't be just easier for the JR East Niitsu plant to just keeping the E235 line going so they could build new E235 trainsets for the Chūō-Sōbu LIne and eventually Musashino Line?

Going out on a speculative limb here, at a wild guess I'd say JR have a pretty good idea what state their rolling stock is in and how to disposition it most effectively.

From my laysquid perspective the Yamanote E231s seem to be in pretty good condition, if a very little bit worn on the inside.

Come to think of it, I wonder if this will mean the end for 6-door cars on the Chuo-Sobu line?

Come to think of it, I wonder if this will mean the end for 6-door cars on the Chuo-Sobu line?

Very likely, as 6-door cars are being slashed everywhere (Tōkyū is abolishing theirs a.t.m.).

The 209-500 Series (13 sets) on the Chūō-Sōbu line will probably be replaced and move to other perrifial lines, like the Musashino or Keiyō (less likely) lines. However, I won't be surprised to see them appear on the Sagami or Hachikō lines as well in 4-car formations, replacing the aging 205 Series. Despite the fact that I like the 205 Series, I'd love to see a change in the 205-500 Series on the Sagami line, which have been in service since 1991 (though probably with very little wear).

That was my thought too.