B20 1

mattdwnunder

I have a World Craft assembled B20 1 and am wondering about placement of the rear numberplate.  Can anyone point me to a rear photo which would show the placement of the numberplate for this specific loco? It seems that #1 had something behind the coal bunker the purpose of which I am not sure. Any assistance would be appreciated.

mattdwnunder

Thanks but I'm not sure it does. B20 1 didn't have side number plates and had a board protruding up from the coal bunker that may or may not have had the number plate mounted on it.

marknewton

They're brass. I think I'm safe saying they're something the engine has only had fitted since it was preserved. The few in-service photos I've seen of these engines mostly show them painted basic black with no trim or decoration. The only exception I have seen was B2010 at Kagoshima. It had yellow scare stripes on the front headstock.

b20.jpg

I recall seeing a photo somewhere of this engine in service. It had wooden extensions fitted to the bunker - what we'd call hungry boards in Australia. That being the case I very much doubt that the numberplate would have been relocated from the actual bunker and attached to the hungry boards.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

That's interesting to see Matt, it must have been the depot's "pet" engine. I've since found a photo on one of my books of it carrying the brass bands on the funnel in regular service.

Cheers,

Mark.