Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Kyoto??!!

The Kanazawa to Kyoto section isn't complete, no.  I don't think they've chosen the route yet, either.  There are three choices, kvp included a map in the second post of this thread: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10290-hokuriku-shinkansen-maibara-routing-difficult-jr-tokai/

edit: The 3-hour duration for Kanazawa to Kyoto sounds about right for the Thunderbird.  It's <=130km/h on 1067mm track.  It's not a shinkansen.  Plus the 320km/h speed they cite is only on the Tohoku Shinkansen running north from Tokyo.  No JR Tokai/West/Kyushu shinkansen services are exceeding 300km/h as far as I know.

further edit: Here's the timetable for the Thunderbird #2, the first service of the day from Kanazawa to Kyoto: http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/2701091/57012.htm .  It departs Kanazawa at 5:35 AM and arrives at Kyoto at 7:51 AM.  So, 2 hours 16 minutes.

Edited by miyakoji

I see the Thunderbird being referred a lot as Shinkansen in many tour packages.  99.99% of the travelling population wouldn't know the difference anyway.

The Kanazawa to Kyoto section isn't complete, no.  I don't think they've chosen the route yet, either.  There are three choices, kvp included a map in the second post of this thread: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10290-hokuriku-shinkansen-maibara-routing-difficult-jr-tokai/

edit: The 3-hour duration for Kanazawa to Kyoto sounds about right for the Thunderbird.  It's <=130km/h on 1067mm track.  It's not a shinkansen.  Plus the 320km/h speed they cite is only on the Tohoku Shinkansen running north from Tokyo.  No JR Tokai/West/Kyushu shinkansen services are exceeding 300km/h as far as I know.

further edit: Here's the timetable for the Thunderbird #2, the first service of the day from Kanazawa to Kyoto: http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/2701091/57012.htm .  It departs Kanazawa at 5:35 AM and arrives at Kyoto at 7:51 AM.  So, 2 hours 16 minutes.

I figured all that out, just thought it was worth a laugh.

Got to wonder how much else on these tours are misrepresented to the public who haven't got a clue, we all know you can't get a Shinkansen from Kanazawa to Kyoto (unless you take all day and go via Tokyo) but what about the non-railway stuff. What else on the tour might not be as advertised?  Will people who go on the tour come home thinking the bullet trains aren't all that they are made out to be?

And who spends 16 days in Japan and only goes on a train once? :dontknow:

Edited by westfalen

Ah sorry West, I thought you were actually asking.  Yeah, I wonder how accurate the itinerary is for these tours, and if there are errors, are they intentional or do the tour operators themselves have incorrect info?  I'm not sure which would be worse.  Have you used both tours and your own plans?  You've been on several trips to Japan haven't you?

bikkuri bahn

That's a lot of transit time on the bus, but maybe unavoidable given the inclusion of Takayama on the itinerary, and the need to keep costs down. At least they could have allowed a return via Narita AP, then a trip on the Tokaido Shinkansen could be included, albeit tacking on at least 13000 yen additional to the tour price.

It's a leisurely trip, good for those who don't know or don't want to go through the hassle of gathering information and planning on their own. There is an advantage also in terms of luggage as the luggage will be parked into the tour bus and you need not worry about those...

There is however, too much time on buses. Any idea how much the entire tour package costs?

Quite a few days of free time in this trip, so it would be slower pace. Well, for us rail fans, I think it's too much of a luxury ~  :)

Ah sorry West, I thought you were actually asking.  Yeah, I wonder how accurate the itinerary is for these tours, and if there are errors, are they intentional or do the tour operators themselves have incorrect info?  I'm not sure which would be worse.  Have you used both tours and your own plans?  You've been on several trips to Japan haven't you?

The trip I'm planning at the moment for September will be lucky 13, of those seven were my own doing while the rest were organised railfan tours mostly by a couple of Brisbane railfans who make me look like the novice I am operating as Trainaway Tours.

It's a lot easier these days to organise a trip yourself than it was when I made my first trip in 1990, I can do the whole deal from airline to railpass to hotels without getting up from my computer.

It's a leisurely trip, good for those who don't know or don't want to go through the hassle of gathering information and planning on their own. There is an advantage also in terms of luggage as the luggage will be parked into the tour bus and you need not worry about those...

There is however, too much time on buses. Any idea how much the entire tour package costs?

Quite a few days of free time in this trip, so it would be slower pace. Well, for us rail fans, I think it's too much of a luxury ~  :)

$3999 Australian.

Edited by westfalen