JR East’s 485 series train to make final runs in Sendai in June

I think it's a 183 or 189 series that goes to Kawaguchiko.  Cosmetic differences are very minor, like the AC/DC electrical gear on the roof of the 485.

Edit: about the 183 (or whatever it is), I'd think its days are numbered, even JR West has completely retired their 183s.  They had plenty on limited expresses around Kansai until just a few years ago.

Edited by miyakoji

It'll be interesting to see how long will JR West hang on to their 381's, unless the 381's that used to run on the Kuroshio llimited express are being dismantled for spare parts for the 381's on Okayama to Izumoshi Yakumo train.

Ochanomizu

I think it's a 183 or 189 series that goes to Kawaguchiko.  Cosmetic differences are very minor, like the AC/DC electrical gear on the roof of the 485.

Hello,

Yes, it is presently 189系 M51 formation for the Holiday Rapid Fuji.

Yes, sadly the lack of an active nostalgic fleet is a sad reality for many japanese train companies. This train could be kept running for many decades. I hope that some effort will be made to preserve the last set instead of scrapping it. (this weekend i was on a photo trip with an old ABbmot express dmu that was retired 28 years ago /built in 1955/ going on a line that was suspended 7 years ago and both the train and the line was operational and the first/last leg of the trip went through the busiest mainlines using free freight slots in the timetable)

Japan certainly lacks an active preservation scene - local private/3rd sector lines often act as quasi-preserved railways simply by inheriting stock larger companies don't want, but at some point even that will be discarded in favour of the next generation of castoffs. Otherwise "legacy" stock gets dumped in museums (both inside and outside) but is rarely preserved in runnable condition.

I was at the western fence to the Shin-Tsurumi Loco Depot next to Shin-Kawasaki Station when I noticed a small crown of fail fans at the fence. It was the 485 series on a dantai/charter  running on the freight line heading east or north. The name plate said 157 - 151 to 200 - Yokohama Central Town Festival.

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

Grant

• Like 4