Tomix DF200's

Kb4iuj

Does anybody know if Tomix sells just a motor less DF200 as I've noticed on some YouTube video's of them in a push pull configuration (one on each end of the train). Having two motors on a n scale train always seems as their working against each other... (Somebody might send Kawasaki - who makes those from what I gather a note - saying they ought to paint one up in the Kawasaki motorcycle green color scheme with their slogan in smaller letters "Kawasaki - Let the good times roll! As that advertising from the 1970's was a great form of advertising. Course, who would ever believe one of Chicago's CTA transit cars has Jack Daniels colors/advertising on the side of it. Wonder when we'll see those Kato cars?

Not sold as a dummy.  Try to find a busted or poor running example being sold and buy it cheap and gut it.

I'm attempting the same with a DE10.

I run two DF200s on my Niihama layout, one Kato and one Tomix & both with motors. Find no problem with push pull as long as clean track and a long rake between to adsorb the relative movement between the DFs - such as 15 to 20 tankers.

• Like 1

I was thinking about buying some molding material goop and cast a few models. And find some trucks that will do visually.

Anybody here done something like that. I didn't know Kato makes one, what's the product number ?

railsquid

Not seen any dummy locos from tomix before.

Their EF63 double pack comes with one dummy.

Shells cost 2000-2400 yen.  You have to do a good job of casting and painting to warrant attempting to skimping on buying one.

You should be able to buy the shell, skirts+couplers and bogies separately.  But you'd be missing the underbody parts that come with the motor chassis.  Use a piece of styrene to hold it all together.  But you'd be up for around 3500 yen.

westfalen

I never find there is any trouble running multiple locos in a train, you may be thinking up a problem where there is none.  I often run my modern era U.S. freights with locos at each end simulating the distributed power method of operation they use over there without any problems, just yesterday at the club I was running my 11 new BMLA crude oil tank cars (all MB Klein had in stock) plus a covered hopper each end as per prototype with an SD70ace pulling and pushing.  Over the length of a train it doesn't matter if speed is not matched as long as the front loco is always pulling some cars and the rear loco is alway pushing some.

Davo Dentetsu

Had about 5 EF510s and 6 ED75s of wildly various makes and eras, they multiple up no problem.  :)

Never had a problem with DD-51s in multiple using Kato and Tomix both for freight and Twilight Express/Hokutosei.

railsquid

The one issue you might get with a loco at either end of the train (rather than double heading) is if one stalls momentarily, particularly the leading one, which might lead to the trailing one causing a derailment by pushing the train against the dead weight of the leading loco.