Remember Keio Chofu Station?

bill937ca

This junction was undergrounded on August 19, 2012 eliminating a surface junction and grade crossing bottleneck.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 5

Wow, complete chaos.

Well organized chaos. :grin

A friend of mine from Japan actually replicated this chaos in n-gauge. I wish I could find the photos now.

Edited by Suica

Imho it was pretty logical. From right to left: straight arrival, diverging arrival, straight departure, diverging departure. Only the diverging arrival and straight departure crossed paths and required any interlocking. The two unused routes (on the videos) connect the diverging departure and diverging arrival tracks to the straight mainline.

I like these double track junction stations both in real life and as models.

bikkuri bahn

It lost pretty much 100% of its railway interest, didn't it?  But certainly a plus for local residents and commuters wanting to get faster to their destinations without delays.

These flat junction stations are indeed fascinating places to watch railway action.  They are progressively getting replaced with elevated or underground layouts, one example being Hankyu Awaji Station, which involved completely wiping out the adjacent retail district.  Get there while you can, as the track layout is still intact for now.  A good place intact for the foreseeable future is Yamato Saidaji Station, where the Kintetsu Nara and Kyoto Lines converge, and then diverge again.  In the Tokyo region, a place I want to visit next is Horinouchi Station on the Keikyu Line- certainly not as dense in services as the previous examples, but one of the few remaining in the Kanto region.

bikkuri bahn

^^

Yeah, Hagiyama is a good one I visit now and then.  I once witnessed a passenger fall in the gap between the train and the platform there.

Edited by bikkuri bahn