Hokuetsu Express revived for winter resort service?

Someone on another forum suggested that they could revive the Hokuetsu Express using 681/683 trainsets for a winter seasonal service for people in the Keihanshin (Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe/Nara) region to access the ski resorts in the Yuzawa area.

Running between December 1 to middle March, the train would be routed this way:

Osaka-Kyoto-Maibara-Tsuruga-Fukui-Kanazawa-Toyoma-Naoetsu-Echigo-Yuzawa

I wonder is there a business case for such a service.

I don't see anything, unfortunately.  There's this pdf published by JR East's Niigata branch http://www.jrniigata.co.jp/Scripts/press/2015fuiyurinn.pdf which lists some extra services, but I haven't found anything from JRW let alone that specific route.  One seat rides are sometimes operated for special occasions, I remember JR Central ran trains from Nagoya onto the Aichi Loop Railway during the 2005 Expo.

Seems like the long way around.  A shinkansen to Tokyo, then up to Echigo-Yuzawa would be much quicker.

While I definitely agree, it's also very expensive to ride the Hikari from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo then the Tanigawa from Tokyo to Echigo-Yuzawa. And if people bring their own skis, that could be a big problem lugging the skis on and off Shinkansen trains, especially the transfer at Tokyo Station.

Hence the suggestion this is a winter-only service, running primarily on weekends and holiday periods. And it's a lot more relaxing if you don't have to change trains, either.

And if people bring their own skis, that could be a big problem lugging the skis on and off Shinkansen trains, especially the transfer at Tokyo Station.

These people drive.

Although I don't see why a 681/683 series train wouldn't suffer the same ski luggage issues as a shinkansen.

But as exampled going up through Toyama.  Probably a bad business case.  If it went Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Matsumoto, Nagano, Echigo-Yuzawa.  Dunno if the train could navigate Obasute Station though?  Should though.  Would serve a larger population demograph and also service 2 ski areas instead of one.

edit//  Never mind.  That is just a spaghetti works as bad as the first suggestion.

Edited by katoftw

I still like my suggestion better, because the route I suggested is already used to 681/683 operations from end to end. And would probably be the fastest route for a zairaisen train between Osaka and Echigo-Yuzawa.