So hard to choose, Shinkansen or Narita Experess

bc6

Well I have a 500 Series Nozomi 8 car set, now Ive been itching for a Narita Express set but I'd also like the 800 Series Tsubame. How would you make the choice between the two sets.

I've had that problem many times and it's always a dilemma. There is only one solution, flip and coin buy both. (Whatever you decide to buy now, eventually you will buy the other. How do I know this, I have both sets.)

disturbman

If you buy the Shinkansen you will then have a set for each track of your double track.

If you buy the Narita Express you will then have another type of train. Not a Shinkansen again but a very specific, and nice, express. That will give a feeling of diversity to your layout and/or roster.

So, what do you choose?

Anyway, I find it good to choose a theme for buying train. Like only Shinkansen set or only Chuo train set. I've opt for JR shikoku myself plus Joyfull Train.  :grin

I've had that problem many times and it's always a dilemma. There is only one solution, flip and coin buy both. (Whatever you decide to buy now, eventually you will buy the other. How do I know this, I have both sets.)

I hear ya :grin . Anyway, the 253 sure is a nice model and you cannot go wrong when buying it. Conversely, my inventory does need at least one Shinkansen set, but I have yet to make up my mind which one (or which ones) I like and/or might have use for on a possible future layout. Personally I am rather fond of the "classic" types 0, 100 and 200, or the "mini" Shinkansen types from more recent times, and indeed the E4, 500, 700 and N700 types. I am, of course, aware that I could not mix and match all these types freely, though.

Speaking of Shinkansens, there is not by any chance a model of the "East i" set or a re-run of a 100 or 200 type model announced for release in the foreseeable future, is there? :grin

I think you guys have summed up what Ive been feeling and gave some good options. The next model I pick up will be the Narita Express then another Shinkansen. One big thing that has me worried is the availability of certain models, but I feel comfortable enough that I'll be able to get both eventually.

Martijn Meerts

The Narita Express has just had another production run, or should be getting one soon I believe, so it's no problem getting that one.

The 800 series is quite popular, and you shouldn't have any problem at all getting that.

The Narita Express has just had another production run, or should be getting one soon I believe, so it's no problem getting that one.

The 800 series is quite popular, and you shouldn't have any problem at all getting that.

Thanks Martin, I thought I remembered seeing a new Narita Express prototype.

Well if it is up to me, I will wait for the new Narita Express to become available in a year or two.  The new one trumps the old one IMHO on design.

As for Shinkansens, I don't like most of them  :confused2: aside from 100, 500, 700T and e3.  I find the rest to be very ugly.

With the Narita Express I believe you choice is simple since Kato is the only manufacture. As for the 800 Shinkansen, you have a choice between Kato and Tomix.

Martijn Meerts

Thanks Martin, I thought I remembered seeing a new Narita Express prototype.

There's a new Narita Express coming yes, but there haven't been any announcements about a model version of that one. The new production run is of the current Narita Express that's in service.

Mudkip Orange

As someone who finds the commuter stock more interesting than the Shinkansen, I say get the NEX, since in a hypothetical/freelance world you could conceivably have it running alongside any 3'6" commuter stock you own.

I am after the Narita Express also - saw one for sale in Sydney a few days ago at a local hobby shop and it was very expensive.

I picked up the 800 series Shinkansen a few months ago from HobbyWorld Japan for a good price - the Kato version -  and its sensational.

I too have diversified away from a Shinkansen only fleet. I picked up the Haruka set recently and own a few other suburban types - now having them on my newly built layout ( just finished 2 days ago ) they all look good running together.

I picked up the Haruka set recently and own a few other suburban types - now having them on my newly built layout ( just finished 2 days ago ) they all look good running together.

Photos, Photos!

Enquiring minds what to see the new layout. Putting them in your thread :grin

I picked up the Haruka set recently and own a few other suburban types - now having them on my newly built layout ( just finished 2 days ago ) they all look good running together.

Photos, Photos!

Enquiring minds what to see the new layout. Putting them in your thread :grin

Soon - it looks like a demolition site at the moment! :laugh:

alpineaustralia
As for Shinkansens, I don't like most of them  aside from 100, 500, 700T and e3.  I find the rest to be very ugly.

Heretic!  Put yourself down for a public flogging!

As for Shinkansens, I don't like most of them  aside from 100, 500, 700T and e3.  I find the rest to be very ugly.

Heretic!  Put yourself down for a public flogging!

Hmm maybe I should take a picture of that and put it as my avatar!   :grin

Oops I think I just posted this comment in the wrong forum... :angel5:

That was my first Kato!  The train runs slower than the other because it still uses light bulb.  Good choice!  If you have a chance, ride the real one.  I remembered getting goosebumps while sitting at the front compartment and looking at how other trains are chasing our train in the Tokyo corridor.

alpineaustralia

A lot slower, although other trains that I have that have light bulbs run a lot faster.  Sorry off topic again.  :angel5:

A lot slower, although other trains that I have that have light bulbs run a lot faster.  Sorry off topic again.   :angel5:

No Alpine you are not off topic, this was a 3rd option.

The train is an unusual design and very attractive on a layout especially when it's lite up. A bit of a challenge if you go DCC to hide the wires because it's windows are so wide, but that's why they call it "Super View". :grin

alpineaustralia

Yes but why does it go so slow as compared to all my other trains? even those with factory fitted light bulb type lights?

Yes but why does it go so slow as compared to all my other trains? even those with factory fitted light bulb type lights?

I'll have to check mine out this weekend and see how it runs compared to the other trains.