Hokkaido Shinkansen, Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto to Shin-Aomori "highlight" video

Sacto1985

YouTube member DoshinWeb just posted a "highlight" zenmen tenbou video of a trip on the Hokkaido Shinkansen from an H5 trainset travelling from Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto to Shin-Aomori Stations:

Hopefully, we may soon see an unedited full-length version of this video, just like they released a full-length version of the zenmen tenbou video of the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Nagano to Kanazawa just before the start of service in March 2015.

• Like 2
Krackel Hopper

At 1:08 in the video the H5 passes what looks like a push/pull EH800 with maybe 5 koki cars inbetween.  I haven't seen anything like that before.

At 1:08 in the video the H5 passes what looks like a push/pull EH800 with maybe 5 koki cars inbetween. I haven't seen anything like that before.

This configuration actually matches the one used by the m250 super rail cargo, so maybe they were tesing high speed cape gauge container trains through the seikan tunnel?

bikkuri bahn

It was testing for wind pressure in the tunnel as well as the traffic control system, since shinkansen trains and freight trains will be passing each other within the confines.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 2

Hopefully, within the next few days or so sites like http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/ should be able to get their hands on a full-length zenmen tenbou video of a trip from Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto to Shin-Aomori Stations from the cab of a H5.  :)

bikkuri bahn

I would much rather they wait until all the snow has melted, or even better summer, so you can see all the trackwork clearly, not to mention the green of the surrounding countryside in the non tunnel, non snooze inducing parts.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I would much rather they wait until all the snow has melted, or even better summer, so you can see all the trackwork clearly, not to mention the green of the surrounding countryside in the non tunnel, non snooze inducing parts.

Remember, when they released that full-length zenmen tenbou video of the Hokuriku Shinkansen run from Nagano to Kanazawa, it was filmed probably in early 2015 during the winter just before the line opened. As such, between Nagano and Itoigawa (when we weren't traveling through those long tunnels) the scenery was definitely from winter, but that didn't detract from enjoying the video.

From Sankei News, here's the full uncut zenmen tenbou video of the trip on H5 Series Shinkansen trainset from Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto to Shin-Aomori Stations, speeded up several times:

• Like 5

Nice! Nothing like fresh new tracks and fresh new stations~ I like the thoughtfulness to install high noise barriers for the residents along certain stretches of the line ~

I like these sped up videos.

Interesting so much of the route is dual gauge.  I though it was just the tunnel section.  But there is so much before and after the tunnel also.

Why is it raining in the Tunnel? Where is the water coming from?

I'm not an expert, but it's usually pretty warm inside long tunnels due to geothermics.

Since winters in northern Honshu and Hokkaido are cold and snowy this causes condensation when trains travel through the much warmer tunnel.

In the video there's a noticeable fog that's building up at the tunnel entrance, where the cold and warm air collide.

Edited by Suica
  • Like 1

Correct.  The tunnel air is humid and the steam and condensation build up.  As noted, you should see steam exiting the tunnel mouths 24/7 in the colder months.

• Like 1

And our favourite Rail Girl from Japan has also taken the Hokkaido Shinkansen:

From Sapporo - Super Hokuto to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto, and E5 to Tokyo in GRAN glass.... Yes unfortunately no H5 for her... Amazing the E5 goes so far out to the north...

• Like 2