Five years ago today

railsquid

It's scary, and frightening, and gives nightmares even till now....

But the Japanese are very strong and have and will live past all odds, growing even stronger in the process.

A salute to the heros who have made self-scarifies to save others trapped in the quake 5 years ago. May they Rest in Peace ~

6782799752_d8f153cf29_b.jpg

It has been all over the news last night and this morning.  I was showing my 7yo some videos of the event this morning.  He was 2 when it happened.  Quite a sombering experience explaining the hell that was unleashed on that day.  Explaining the distance from Tokyo etc.

Japan Guide has some interesting blogs about the recovery and rebuilding processes:-

http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/recovery/151111.html

Click on the other earlier blogs and you'll find other pics not used in other blogs.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2

Yes does seem like yesterday. It wa a horrifying day.

We are working on doing one last distribution of toys with the last bit of omcha express' funds here in the next month to close it down. Hoping to get to those still in temporary housing. It's been hard to track down new places on the ground as we saturated the original area and sources. Hopefully this new connection can get the last bit done.

Jeff

• Like 2

Fascinating series of images in those Japan Guide posts.

What impressed me most was that people seem to have just got on with tidying up rather than waiting for it to be done for them, and I was astonished to see very little evidence of looting or scavenging. Looking at the wrecked cars piled up, nobody seems to have done any automotive dumpster diving in search of spare parts. Ok, most of it would be useless but I'm surprised the wheels and tyres are all still attached!

Where are the debris piles ending up? Many European cities like Berlin have at least one artificial mountain, made from the rubble left after WW2 bombing raids and fighting. Bizarrely I read recently that Bristol had sent large quantities of rubble across the Atlantic, where it forms part of an area reclaimed from the sea in NYC!

Hopefully the new expressway mentioned won't affect the Sanriku line, it'd be a real shame to see them lose passengers after their work to recover from the tsunami.

Where are the debris piles ending up?

Probably in incinerators of various kinds, as most of the buildings destroyed were mainly wooden or wood-framed.