Tokyo Morning Peak + Shinkansen

Just a curious question.

If one was to travel to Tokyo Station from the suburbs and jump on a Tokaido Shinkansen at between 7-8 am for departure.  What you be the chances of:-

1) Missing morning rush hour?

2a) Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 12 hours earlier?

2b) If unable to reserve seats, arriving and being first on to get a unreserved seat?

Thanks.

p.s. Most likely to be a Monday to Friday.

Edited by katoftw

Just a curious question.

If one was to travel to Tokyo Station from the suburbs and jump on a Tokaido Shinkansen at between 7-8 am for departure.  What you be the chances of:-

1) Missing morning rush hour?

Somewhere between zero and 0%, especially inbound to Tokyo Station on a weekday. Depending on which direction/lines you're coming from there may be routes/timings which are less crowded. If you can reserve seats, Shinagawa may be a better option if you're in the south/west.

2a) Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 12 hours earlier?

Might be possible, looking at the reservation info here: http://www1.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/ (dunno if there's an English site for that) there are still free seats for tomorrow morning on most trains (but things could change in the next 8 hours).

2b) If unable to reserve seats, arriving and being first on to get a unreserved seat?

Again, might be possible, outside of peak holiday periods. Better to select a specific train and arrive early enough to queue, IIRC there are lines for the current train and the next train on the platform. If you're with family it might be tricky to get seats together.

Disclaimer: I don't travel much on the Shinkansen at all, from my railpass days I do remember turning up early in the morning without any reservation (or even particular plans) and always getting a seat. But YMMV.

If you are arriving to Tokyo station before 8am, then you will avoid "peak rush hour".  But still train is already quite crowded already from early in the morning.

If only 1 person, then you will be able to get the seat most of the time.  I think earlier Shinkansen may have chance of full seat as people tends to take Shinkansen earlier to arrive Nagoya or Osaka around 9:00 for work especially on weekdays.  When I had a chance to take Shinkansen for business trip to Osaka, I usually take Shinkansen around 8:00 (meaning arriving to Shin-Osaka around 10:30 or later.... I am a lazy guy...) but usually could reserve seat before the day of the trip.

I've never had problems getting on in small groups without reservations, even with a tour group of twenty or so we get there early and spread out between three or four doors.  As someone said there are lines on the platform to line up for the non reserved cars and it seems normal for one of a group to mind the spot in the line while others head for the kiosk to buy bentos or whatever. if you're one of the first in you get the pick of the seats and take a couple of bags with you and put on the seats for other family members to indicate they are taken.  Another trick in my arsenal is to head right down the end of the platform where most normal passengers can't be bothered going, as they do everywhere most seem to just line up at the door nearest the subway stairs, this gives you the added advantage of being at the end of the platform so you can watch trains coming and going as you're waiting.