Best method for applying roll-sign stickers

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

Does somebody have a good method for applying roll-sign stickers to cars?  I am having a devil of a time getting good results from trying to add these to the Seibu NRA set that 500-san sold me.   I used to have a method for this but i guess i must have forgotten it.

What i am currently doing is:

- cutting out the sticker using an xacto blade

- taking out the window insert

- putting the sticker on the raised bump for the roll-sign window

- putting the window back in.

and when i doe the last step, the sticker invariably moves.

i used to do this more often and had good results, but honestly it's to the point that i'd rather buy a good used set from yahoo auctions with the stickers already applied than a new one without them (nariichi-san and co please take note - maybe something to raise with companies, though microace is of course deaf as a board).  i actually bought a shonan shinjuku set used with well placed stickers rather than bother than doing it myself.

there seem to be two problems:

1. the sticker moves

2. the sticker is 'dim' (microace stickers) and does not display well. that's probably just an overall fault of the low quality microace sticker material.

i dont think that applying the stickers "from the outside" is a solution, but maybe I'm wrong.  

any help appreciated!

I glue the sticker down with CA or model glue and then it dry for a day. I still have movement problems though sometimes. 

Yeah they go on the outside of the windows. My experience is never trust any kind of decal to stay where you put it without fixing it somehow and Micro Sol doesn't work on anything but waterslides. I kind of wish they made roll signs waterslide, they be a lot easier to deal with, 

Guest keio6000

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by 'outside of the windows.'  of course it goes on the outside, but what i mean is that if you try to push the sticker through the hole, it will likely be damaged.  So, I think the better solution is to take the glass off from the inside, put it on the raised bump, and then put the glass back.

Glue suggestions:  so, i heard CA glue and model glue.  Both are ok suggestions, but i wondr if CA glue will whiten over time.

Waterslide decals would be an ok fix for this, but this would require the backing to be white, since waterscale decals dont do white well.  A better solution still would be for manufacturers to start providing properly tampo printed pieces given the high prices being asked.  Certain tomix sets have tampo printed front destination signs that are just wonderful and occasionally prompt me to buy a tomix over another just for that reason.

And the whole idea that i should have to "glue a sticker" is fairly silly. 

Oh I misunderstood, I take the glass out of the car first and then glue down the sticker. The real problem is the way the glass snaps into most cars - it goes in the top so the top edge of the sticker snags the top of the window and that pulls it apart. Also once the glue is dry (I wait at least 24 hours, more than I need to) you can go along the edge of the sticker to trim off any slight excess that's not on the raised portion to make it so it is exactly the size of the hole. 

Agreed, gluing a sticker is silly. Looking for a sticker that fell off somewhere along the line is more of a pain though.