Simple Tomix TCS Question???

toc36

Hopefully this is a simple AND inexpensive question.

The attachment is a simple AnyRail schematic using Kato vice Tomix track.

The plan is to convert to Tomix track and automate. 

Would this require THREE Tomix TCS 5563 units?

Thanks

Tomix TCS Schematic.pdf

toc - you show us the trackplan, but don't indicate just what operation you expect from it.  Do you expect that all trams will stop at the middle passing siding?

While I consider the 5563 an amazing value for the price, you are generally locked into the programs that it comes with.  You cannot string them together to handle more sophisticated situations.  You could use multiple units on a single layout to control different functions on isolated sections of track, such as I was suggesting for the loop tracks and the mountain line on the Hakone designs (modes 7/8 and 5 respectively).

As I mentioned in my latest Hakone trackplan post, I just don't know if it's possible to use other technology - such as optical sensors, in conjunction with the 5563 to do something like intermediate station stops in the middle of a 5563 program - such as modes 3 or 5.

Tomix actually uses the TCS designation in relation to many of their electronics products.  The 5563 is formally the Automatic Operation Unit.  You will need a Tomix controller - I believe the N-600 is the least expensive TCS model.  Go to Hobby Search and search on "Tomix TCS" - this will show you all of the components within that range of products.

You will also need four sensor tracks to test all of the programs / modes of the 5563.  The 5558 model will slide into almost any Tomix track and is the lowest price; it will also be the easiest to camouflage.  The 5559 is theoretically more bulletproof, but carries a large visual footprint.

If you want to check out the 5563, I suggest you get a basic assortment of track, including a loop and a couple of turnouts - one each L and R strongly recommended.

The unit comes with a manual (in Japanese of course) that illustrates the eight modes.  The suggested track list will allow you to test each one of these.

I did a fair amount of research with mine and discovered that it is possible to usefully  clone some of the modes, by which I mean adding additional wiring and components to duplicate some of the functionality.  Since you watched my videos, I have them for modes 5 and 8 cloned.  Regarding your trackplan, if you added another siding at the top, you could use cloned mode 5 to alternately send one of three trains between the top and bottom.  You could use each side of the middle passing track with Tomix sprung switches, but the trams would not stop there.  BTW - I'm saying tram just because your  trackplan suggests that by the length of the sidings.

It's theoretically possible, but I don't see any particular reason to clone mode 3 - switchback.  One possible exception would be to have two separate switchback sections that meet at a shared transfer station in the middle of the hill.  One train would approach it from the top, while the other comes from the bottom.  Note that any cloning requires wiring components (sensors + turnouts) together, as the 5563 unit expects a single plug.

I don't know just how dedicated you are to the Hakone - i.e. do you already own any rolling stock, or is it just a potential future interest?  About a year ago Ken Ford proposed a single switchback layout

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9840-hakone-tozans-kami-ohiradai-switchback-a-new-small-layout-idea/?hl=hakone

If you bought the 5563, the sensors and appropriate track, you'd have the potential of automating operation at a pair of these Hakone switchbacks using program 3.  You could also build one Hakone style switchback and simply use a single switch for the other one.  Mode 3 expects a Z-shaped trackplan, so you need to provide the appropriate set-up or nothing will happen.  I believe that using Tomix spring switches means that there is only one turnout that needs to be thrown at a Hakone style switchback - as somewhat discussed in the earlier thread.  Ken was going to use Kato track, which would have required track modification.  Using Tomix you should be good to go, and you can automate it (if using a single train).

Again - if you're at all interested in the 5563, I suggest you buy one, a TCS power pack, sensors, and enough track to test out all of the modes-programs.  Once you work with it, you'll have a much better idea what it's capable of.

I'm guessing the required equipment and track will cost somewhere between $200-300 from Hobby Search, which isn't much at all if you average it out across the 8 available programs.

Edited by velotrain

I think it's doable but you will need a few tricks. For example the middle sidings and the 3 storage tracks can be chained by adding the reversing sensor of the storage tracks after the entry of the passing siding but before the stop sensor.

Imho, it would be easier with sn arduino and a dual channel motor shield powering the tracks of the passing siding, while another dual bridge could drive 4 outputs, controlling the 5 turnouts through bipolar capacitor circuits. It would allow two trains out of 5 to move at the same time and could reduce the number of tcs sensors to 7.

Velo:  Good point.  I would want to run 2-3 trains back and forth.  At the end sidings, I would want alternate trains to enter and leave (FIFO).  At the middle passing track station, I would the train to alternate entry and exit.

KVP:  I bought books on Arduino, but it is still Greek to me.  It is ironic that part of my job is evaluating the overall capabilities of complex software and electronic systems, but I struggle to understand the underlying functionalities of subsystems.  I had two years of electric shop in high school. Electronics did not exist did not exist back then.  There is a hurdle that my mind cannot leap over yet.

old dog, new tricks 

Automation with 3 tomix units:

-right side: 3 track ladder out and back program, direction change sensor in bypass tack

-center: 2 track bypass program with shadow sensors in the mainline after the power change point

-left side: the same as the right side, only mirrored but one track with 2 sensors

Arduino:

It's a computer with inputs and outputs. Digital inputs (buttons, tcs sensor outputs) are either high or low, digital outputs also. To drive a motor or turnout, you need a power amplifier between the arduino and the motors. Motor drivers do this. Low power signal and power supply in, high power signal out. The arduino has a nice feature, that some outputs can output pwm signal, that looks like analog from a distance so you just set the speed on these ports with pwm out and after the signal gets amplified by the motor driver chips, you can drive trains with it. The actual program would be like: set speed x on output y, wait for input on z and so on until you have all your steps. (the arduino loops it for you and repeats it forewer)