Keikyū N1000-1800

Kabutoni

Keikyu has had a new train rollout! http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-640.html

A redesigned front and a more simplistic stickering design makes this one stand out from the other 1000 series. IMO it looks pretty good and much, much better than the N1000 type 6th+ generations (stainless steel bodies).

001.jpg

I'm very sure there are people who dislike this design style, but hey, that's too bad. Difference of taste. ;)

• Like 5

I like it.  Thankfully it's not a stainless, perhaps Keikyu is committed to their image as the "akaidensha" operator- trains are becoming more lookalike day by day otherwise. Anyway, kudos to Keikyu, imo the most "Kansai-like" of the Kanto mintetsu firms, and I mean that as a compliment.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I like it.  Thankfully it's not a stainless, perhaps Keikyu is committed to their image as the "akaidensha" operator- trains are becoming more lookalike day by day otherwise. Anyway, kudos to Keikyu, imo the most "Kansai-like" of the Kanto mintetsu firms, and I mean that as a compliment.

Actually, it is a stainless body train. IIRC, the 'paint' is nothing more than a stickering over the stainless steel body, rather than paint.

I think in the Kantō area, Keikyū (red) and Seibu (yellow) are the only firms who have a strong and traditional livery-related image with their customers. Of course, ignoring small/local companies, like Enoden, Hakone Tozan, Kominato, Watarase Keikoku, etc.. Keisei gave their livery-related image up in the early 1990s (trading the Akaden for their red and blue striping) as an example of one of the most 'recent' companies that decided to shed this image. Keikyū in particular is strong in maintaining their colour scheme, with some oddities like the Sky Blue liveries (including the recent Taiwan Friendship livery) and Happy Yellow Train (basically a classic Seibu livery).

But aren't basically all of the Seibu trains introduced since the 90s not-yellow? I know, yellow is tell very present as they have many older trains in service but still...

Anyway, I think both, "naked" stainless steel and colourful trains can look nice. The N1000 definitely does look better with the stainless steel hidden away though. :)

But aren't basically all of the Seibu trains introduced since the 90s not-yellow? I know, yellow is tell very present as they have many older trains in service but still...

New trains yes, but Seibu still realises there is some 'demand' for new yellow trains, hence their decision to create a yellow 6000 Series:

0011000.jpg

Also, the last original yellow train (9108F of the 9000 Series) rolled out in 1999, so not too long ago. It wouldn't surprise me if Seibu decides to revert to the all-yellow livery again at some point, like Keikyū.

• Like 1

Actually, it is a stainless body train. IIRC, the 'paint' is nothing more than a stickering over the stainless steel body, rather than paint.

I wonder what it actually costs to paint one car.  Automobiles look good for years (or they can, maybe not always :)), you'd think they could strike a balance between economy and something that has an image.  Brand image is big these days isn't it :grin

pdf:

http://www.keikyu.co.jp/file.jsp?assets/pdf/company/news/2015/20151222HP_15146NN.pdf

*the center door on the driving cars allows gangway connections, first time since the old 1000 series (and variants) were introduced

Yes, it is.  I meant not stainless rather in the sense of paint, er, sticker scheme, not the actual body shell material.  It seems most railways going with painted bodies order aluminum alloy body shells nowadays- the original run (2002~) of the new 1000 series is such.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Keikyu, like Hankyu in the Osaka area, is a very image-conscious company, from what I see. They're one of the small number of passenger rail companies in Japan that paint trains in more or less a single livery.

Keikyu, like Hankyu in the Osaka area, is a very image-conscious company, from what I see. They're one of the small number of passenger rail companies in Japan that paint trains in more or less a single livery.

Companies that spring to mind from near where I live that have great consistency in their liveries: Keio (except the Inokashira line, which is still very consistent in liveries), Odakyū (all commuter stock, except for four 1000 types that run on the Hakone Tozan line), Keisei (all commuter trains), Sōtetsu (except a single unrevised 9000 series and the 7000 series (not the N7000 series)). Even Tōbu has a great consistency in their commuter train liveries (stainless steel with a dark-red band), except for the older 8000 series and the new 50000 and 60000 series. It's just the fact that most companies (except Sōtetsu, but that will change very soon) have through running operations, it doesn't show all that well.

Keikyū also has variations on their standard liveries, like the all-red with a white stripe under the window, all red with a white window band and the red/white stickering on the stainless steel 1000 Series. Not to mention the Blue Sky 2100 and 600s, as well as the Happy Yellow Train 1000.

IIRC the only company that really sticks to one livery only is Hankyū indeed, where even recently there have been some stickering variations.

Let's not forget Tokyu. Almost all of their trains bear the stainless-steel/red design, with the 7000 series being the exception. No idea what they were thinking there.

Okay, the Setagaya line is an exception as well, but that's more like a tram anyway.

Let's not forget Tokyu. Almost all of their trains bear the stainless-steel/red design, with the 7000 series being the exception. No idea what they were thinking there.

Okay, the Setagaya line is an exception as well, but that's more like a tram anyway.

All Tōkyū trains are stainless steel, because that has been the speciality of the manufacturer they're ordering from since the 1960s: Tōkyū Sharyō (now J-TREC). Themselves. ;)

The Setagaya line trains (300 Series) are semi-stainless as well as have been made by Tōkyū Sharyō. The Setagaya line itself is legally a tram line (路面電車形式の軌道線) as well with its own right of way.

• Like 1

Plenty of green on the Ikegami and Tamagawa lines nowadays though:

54411d65339ce9fbd2119a62f72e1883.jpg

Of all the Tōkyū trains though, the 7000 is the least beloved. There isn't even a ready to run model of it and not planned as well...

Yeah, but that's just because the Tokyu 7000s just don't look too well. The 1000 next to it on the other hand looks absolutely fine.

Rollout and test runs:

Yeah, but that's just because the Tokyu 7000s just don't look too well. The 1000 next to it on the other hand looks absolutely fine.

That's a 1000-1500, which has only come into service recently, as a surplus from the old Tōyoko-Hibiya line through services.

Here's a picture I took of the 1004F (now 1504F) before it was converted into a 3-car formation (4th April 2013), hiding in a siding at the Tōkyū Nagatsuta Depot (Den'entoshi line).

1004F

EDIT:

And some more of the old 1000 stock being moved to Nagatsuta via the Yokohama line I snapped, 2nd of February 2014:

2014 02 12 12.00.23

2014 02 12 12.00.24

2014 02 12 12.00.26

2014 02 12 12.00.28

2014 02 12 12.00.31

Back in the day where no E233s were running there as well...

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

It looks even better than in the photos. Those stainless-steel frames around the doors, windows, roof ends and at the car's ends make it look real fancy! :love4:

It looks even better than in the photos. Those stainless-steel frames around the doors, windows, roof ends and at the car's ends make it look real fancy! :love4:

It also makes me wonder if the paint is actually stickers or real paintwork... The rivets are showing quite a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you look at the coloured surfaces on the sides, they have a bit of an unusual shine to them. It might just be wrapping. But that's not bad. It's becoming quite common and I think it still looks great.