Fitting lights to Kato 6090 (KiHa 47-0)?

Welshbloke

I've just opened a parcel containing one of these, which will be running with a dummy KiHa 52 (and a KiHa 65 when that arrives).

The KiHa 52 has interior lighting, and I have a couple of spare 11-204 lighting kits that I'd like to fit to the new units. But I can't work out how it's supposed to fit into the KiHa 47? There are slots for the two metal contact strips, but if I fit the bulb holder in what looks like the most likely slot then it doesn't make contact with them and is too low in the body to line up with the diffuser. Any ideas? Am I using the wrong lighting kit?

Everything should be the same between a 40, 47 and a 48.  And yes you are using the correct lighting kit.  Just checked assy sheet.

Edited by katoftw

Well, I assume what I have is an 11-204 anyway!

The two units I have came to me attached to a KuMoHa 115 and KuHa 115, which according to the Kato site take that lighting unit. I removed it (just unclipped the parts) as I knew I'd need more 115 Series vehicles to make a useful train and didn't want to fit lighting to the whole lot. I'm now looking to reuse them in the KiHas as that way all my DMUs will have interior lighting.

It looks as though it should fit, but the KiHa 47 doesn't have a bulkhead to press the light unit against the pickup strips so it won't stay in the right place. If I push it down it stays in, but doesn't line up with the diffuser and the pickups don't make contact with it either.

Edit, turns out I was trying to fit it to the wrong end of the unit!

Disregard the pickup strips in the lighting kit, you don't need them with this DMU. Instead look at the lighting PCB at the cab end. The bulb holder hooks over the two U-shaped copper strips on the back of this, and is held in place when you refit the body as the two strips from the chassis press against them. You need to trim about 3-4mm off the end of the diffuser for it to clip in properly (there are clips on the sides of it which fit into notches in the glazing above the windows - trim the flat end rather than the bevelled one for best results). Obviously don't forget the foil tape above it. A quick test with a 9v battery against the wheels and everything lit up, will get it on some track tomorrow.

Edited by Welshbloke