Tobu Railway freight?

Welshbloke

I've started reading about this topic, as my most recent loco buy is an ED5060 (in the "I like the look of that and it's cheap" category).

Pretty much all the videos I can find show a pair of these locos (or other similar-looking classes, they seem to have been able to mix freely) hauling a train of TaKis in black, although I did see one hauling an EMU set which had presumably broken down. Just wondering if anyone has more information on these operations, as English-language Wiki only mentions the passenger services. I notice that Tomytec will be offering a neat little guard's van from the same line this year, which will be very tempting (missed my chance to grab one of the last batch in pale green, the new ones will be deep red). Did they haul anything else or just tankers and the odd EMU going for repair/servicing?

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Tobu Railway did operate freight services in the past, but due to the decreasing number of freight transport by private rail across the nation (thanks to the intense motorization!), Tobu discontinued their freight services in the period between mid-1980s and early 1990s (I don't know the exact year, but hopefully someone would clear it up)  :grin

And before Tobu used electrics to haul freight they had a wonderful collection of ancient steam locos, either their own or ex-JNR. Mostly 4-4-0 tender engines, a few are preserved. The freight car museum on the Sangi Railway has one, and from memory there's also two in Tobu's own museum.

Cheers,

Mark.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

And before Tobu used electrics to haul freight they had a wonderful collection of ancient steam locos, either their own or ex-JNR. Mostly 4-4-0 tender engines, a few are preserved. The freight car museum on the Sangi Railway has one, and from memory there's also two in Tobu's own museum.

Cheers,

Mark.

Even one of them is also displayed in front of Omocha-no-machi station's eastern exit (the real name of this locomotive is actually JNR's 1225 series steam locomotive):

634px-Ryugasakiline_SL-5.jpg

:read2:

Thanks all, looks like I have an excuse to buy more box vans! The only freight stock I currently own is three Kato items, a WaKi 5000, Taki 3000 in yellow, and one of the bogie refrigerated vans used for fish traffic (thanks to a cheap bundle of stock on ebay). I know the fish vans were usually seen in a block train, but the other two should be ideal if I add some more vans and opens. I'll end up with a representative JNR-era freight which can also be hauled by other locos.