What do you call a Japanese train driver?

When I try one of the online translators, I usually get 運転手 ("untenshu"), but that may just be a generic term for driver, and not correct in context.

For example, how would you say "my friend Toshiro is a driver on the Hanshin line", or some such?

Atomsk

(My great-grandfather was an engineer on the Delaware & Hudson)

Edited by Atomsk
Guest Closed Account 1

The English terms for them are Conductor or shashou 車掌, Engineer , and Pilot (Shinkansen) . 

Someone else can fill in the other translations. I keep finding train driver as the most popular term. No one actually steers a train, subway, trolley or tram.

The Conductor is in charge of trains (Worldwide), and on passenger trains is responsible for handling the funds.

The conductor and Engineer always repeat anything related to operating the train so both know each is alert and informed.

Whenever you see a clear signal approaching (green), both will exclaim, "Highball!". USA term.

Edited by Webskipper

The English terms for them are Conductor or shashou 車掌, Engineer , and Pilot (Shinkansen) . 

Someone else can fill in the other translations. I keep finding train driver as the most popular term. No one actually steers a train, subway, trolley or tram.

The Conductor is in charge of trains (Worldwide), and on passenger trains is responsible for handling the funds.

The conductor and Engineer always repeat anything related to operating the train so both know each is alert and informed.

Whenever you see a clear signal approaching (green), both will exclaim, "Highball!". USA term.

Also the name of a drink.

Yes, I'm well acquainted with the English names and duties of various members of a train crew.  The conductor usually has one or more assistants, called "brakemen" or "trainmen", while the engineer or driver sometimes has an assistant called a "fireman" or simply assistant driver.  However, I can't find a good reference to the Japanese terms for all these titles.

For these kind of terms, sometimes, there is a simple solution in Japanese. Children's songs: 

EDIT

To clarify, in order of appearance:

- 運転士 = untenshi (driver, motorman);

- 車掌 = shachō (conductor);

- 車内販売お姉さん = shanai hanbai onē-san (in-car sales lady)*;

- 改札の人 = kaisatsu no hito (person at the ticket gate);

- (ホーム)助役 = (hōmu) jyoyaku ((platform) assistant);

- 駅長 = ekichō (station master);

- 保線区の人 = hosenku no hito (track maintenance person)*;

- 整備士 = seibishi (mechanics);

- 踏切の人 = fumikiri mamoru hito (railway crossing protection person)*.

* = not the official English designation, but a free interpretation of the Japanese description.

Please keep in mind most, if not all Japanese railway terminology is derived from UK English.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 2

Untenshu (運転手) is used for drivers of wheeled road vehicles.  Untenshi (運転士) is used for train drivers, and curiously, for crane and derrick operators.

I think 運転士 = untenshi is the most ideal address to any driver of mechanical vehicles... Where technically 運転手 is the correct term...

We often see in shows like Local bus trip where the host calls the driver of the bus バスの運転さん and in other shows they call the taxi driver タクシー運転さん ...

Nevertheless that song is great for learning these! Thanks Toni san!

I'm not sure about American freight trains but Amtrak did away with the term "trainman" years ago. The second-in-command on one of their passenger trains is nowadays called the assistant conductor.