Platform end fencing

Welshbloke

I'm currently modifying a Kato island platform section to have end fencing (as there won't be enough space for more than 248mm of platform, and I want a canopy so the designated end pieces aren't suitable).

I've tried to drill the end and fit a spare set of railings I had to hand, but couldn't get the holes in a straight line. So I'm wondering if there were any stations with a solid wall there rather than railings? I'll need to cover the S-Joiner holes in that end anyway so it won't be hard to extend upwards slightly. While I could fill the holes and try drilling again I'm not convinced it'd work.

Edited by Welshbloke

If the platform's elevated and there's nothing beyond the end of the platform, there'll be a wall to stop people falling into the gap, and stations with platform doors, but otherwise I can't think of any stations with a wall rather than fencing. Not that I have every station in Japan in my head mind you.

What you do see sometimes are small buildings at the end of platform used for various purposes (staff room, lost property, storage etc.)

I would say it's better to fill the holes, cut off the studs from the railing and just glue it down at the end of the platform just like you would glue normal street fencing. The S joiner cover plate can go up the floor level of the platform to meet the glued on railing.

ps: I've only seen platform walls on elevated stations with a rather long drop to street level, everything else i've seen on photos just had some railings.

use a printed jig to drill holes.

also instead of drilling you could try penetrating it with a heated sewing needle. for heating it, just burn it with a lighter until it starts glowing red, then quickly penetrate the platform.

Thanks all, looks as if I'm going to be filling and re-drilling!

I might turn the platform around (as the pre-drilled holes are symmetrical), that way I won't have to try to drill accurately with half the hole being in filler and the other half in plastic. I'll be painting everything to make it look a bit less plastic, so the filler will disappear under some slightly grubby concrete grey paint.

I used a single-sided platform end section as a template, so the holes ended up at the right spacing but for some reason weren't in a straight line.

My plan is to have a single 23-100 platform section with one of the 23-210 station entrances on the end, inspired by the branch lines which saw the last scheduled services by KuMoHa 12s. Somewhere for my Getaden and my various one/two car Tomytecs to run, with a depot in the background.

In this case, you might have the space for a #4 platform end, depending on the track layout. The #4 platform is longer, but it has two different parts, a 2x62 mm standard width section and a tapering section. If you have a turnout that leads to one of the sidings, then you can cut this platform end in half and add it next to your exisiting platform. The narrow end section has a tiny piece of railing too and you gain around 70 mm of extra platform length.

Nope, that definitely wouldn't fit. I'm already having to file one corner of the platform section down slightly as clearance was a bit tight otherwise.

I'll mock up the track and post a photo when the entrance arrives, but it's basically a right hand #4 point. The diverging route goes onto straight track, while the straight route has two 64mm straights followed by the 481mm radius curve, then a 248mm straight. I'm planning to fix the platform pieces together and fill gaps, so it blends seamlessly. While I don't mind my Japanese-style floor layout looking like a selection of bits clipped together I'm trying for something a bit more realistic with a fixed layout.

How about cutting the platform in half, adding the #4 on the end and putting the platform's roof over the whole thing? I'm asking as this filed off section is around the middle of the #4 end. Essentially you have a 248 mm straight after the curved piece and the platform end has 124 mm after the curved piece where only 62 mm is completly straight. One platform end and half of a full platform would be perfect without filing the sides. You just have to fix the 248 roof over them 50-50%.

Shifting the talk back to the prototype...

ps: I've only seen platform walls on elevated stations with a rather long drop to street level, everything else i've seen on photos just had some railings.

This.  In general, railing are the preferred installation, likely because they provide better visibility of the line ahead or behind for staff, and installation of staff access gates is simpler/cheaper.  You do see some concrete walls on side platforms where line of sight issues are not as critical and passenger safety as per above is important.  I do however see some installation of thin steel plate welded to railings more often recently- my theory is that this is done to discourage railfans from setting up shop on the platform ends, typically the young ones who have less than perfect manners and/or use those tiny tripods.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

If the platform's elevated and there's nothing beyond the end of the platform, there'll be a wall to stop people falling into the gap, and stations with platform doors,

I tell a lie - after carefully observing the stations on the northern half of the Yamanote line, those with platform doors and nothing "blocking" the end of the platform all had metal railings, of the many vertical bars type rather than the two-horizontal-bar types you see at smaller stations.

I made a drawing to explain what i described about the #4 platform end:

post-1969-0-45822200-1453991299_thumb.png

Green is the current platform, red is the clearance problem, the horizontal gray line represents the platform roof and the light blue one is the platform end, 3rd and 4th show various solutions. The 3rd one requires one cut, in the middle of the straight platform. The 4th one cuts away the 62 mm section of the platform end that is straight and another 62 mm from the straight platform. The results are the same and the platform roof is kept in both cases. It's possible to drill holes for the posts in the end section or to cut off the tabs and just glue the posts to the surface of the platform. The small end railing is included along with a station table and a lamp post to have something on the open section too. The end section would be half covered by the roof and adds some length to the platform, while having the right curve to avoid clearence issues.