Lost passenger train

velotrain

I was going to post this under Japan's weirdest consist, but quickly realized this wasn't Japan, as it looked like a 2nd or 3rd world country.  Not to mention the train being much too dirty.  I was kinda shocked by what looked like a more or less modern engine hauling a passenger train in such a gritty setting.

The photo came up in a search that I thought targeted Japan, but I then discovered this is actually Vietnam.  The second photo in the Wiki article makes it look like an Indian railway in the far east - where is the market on the track?

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%99%E3%83%88%E3%83%8A%E3%83%A0%E3%81%AE%E9%89%84%E9%81%93

gallery_941_192_1662.jpg

The picture above is the train leaving Saigon Station.  The second big picture in the wiki article is the line going through a neighborhood in Hanoi.

The locomotive is an AsiaRunner, essentially a cape/meter gauge, 6 axle variant of the Siemens EuroRunner, also known as the OBB Hercules diesel. It's very modern technology, but rugged enough for asian narrow gauge lines.

The locomotive is an AsiaRunner, essentially a cape/meter gauge, 6 axle variant of the Siemens EuroRunner, also known as the OBB Hercules diesel. It's very modern technology, but rugged enough for asian narrow gauge lines.

Actually, it's a rebuilt D19E (Đổi Mới) of the 941-960 series. Domestically built locomotive by DSVN Gia Lâm Workshops under Chinese licence (CSR Ziyang) and runs with a Caterpiller engine. More information here: http://www.railwaysinvietnam.com/D19E.html

That's a nice website. Lots of information about Vietnam railways.

The original D19E isn't too bad either.