Kato HV2

hnewman78

I currently have an HV1 track and I have two trains, so I would like to add the HV2 track so that one of the trains can park while the other train goes around the HV1 track.  I have one transformer (not Kato).  What is the best way to wire this so that I achieve what I am looking for?  Can I use any of the controllers that Kato makes like the 24-850 and how do I do the wiring?  Thank you for your time.

Kato turnouts are power routing, so if you select a track with the turnouts it will have power while the others won't. You usually get the turnout control switches with the turnout packs. To power those you need either a Kato transformer or an accessory adapter that converts the accessory output of your transformer into 12V DC needed for the turnouts.

Isolating joiners and separate track power switches are rarely needed. The isolators are used mostly to separate two independent loops powered with two trafos if there is a crossover between them. The philosophy behind power routing turnouts is to select which train runs by selecting a route for it.