JR Shimbashi station incident this morning at 9am

JR 500系

summary: a guy in his 30s was being restrained by staff on the platform on suspicion of chikannery waiting for police, jumped off the platform in front of an incoming train, many broken bones but nothing life-threatening. No indication whether it was a spontaneous suicide attempt.

Yep, either a suicide attempt or an escape attempt. It caused a delay of 24 minutes.

I wonder if they'll bill him for that.

chikannery

I'd add this to the j/e railway dictionary wiki if we still had it, lol

summary: a guy in his 30s was being restrained by staff on the platform on suspicion of chikannery waiting for police, jumped off the platform in front of an incoming train, many broken bones but nothing life-threatening. No indication whether it was a spontaneous suicide attempt.

Chikannery! Haha ~ Good term ~

Yes I would think so too. Definitely Chikan. The illustrated figures show a lady figurine, two station staff and a man kneeling down, apparently caught by the woman who reported to the station staff. It was also stated that the police were on the way, and when the man saw the police coming he suddenly and immediately made a suicide attempt.

Luckily he didn't die but got bone fractures and is out of danger.

They should. He's a Chikanner who committed chikannery, got caught, tried to escape and gave the train driver a terrible shock, causing damages to the E231-1000 Tokaido Line (judging from the graphics) and creating delays to both the Tokaido line and Keihin Tohoku line major delays of up to 25 mins...

I'd add this to the j/e railway dictionary wiki if we still had it, lol

I thought it had a nice ring to it ;)

A quick scan of reports listed in Google News Japan elicits no further information of use, though I can now say the train in question had 15 cars and originated in Atami, bound for Koganei.

Yes I would think so too. Definitely Chikan. The illustrated figures show a lady figurine, two station staff and a man kneeling down, apparently caught by the woman who reported to the station staff. It was also stated that the police were on the way, and when the man saw the police coming he suddenly and immediately made a suicide attempt.

Nowhere is it stated this was a suicide attempt. Reading between the lines it probably was, but Japanese media tend to be very circumspect about these things until they're sure.

According to a legal expert interviewed towards the end of the segment, under Paragraph 37 of the Railway Operation Law (鉄道営業法), interrupting services by deliberately entering the line is a punishble offence, also the railway company can sue for compensation for losses incurred.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

It seems that the perpetrator (or culprit?) attempts to fleeing from the law by committing suicide, but what he does was just adding another charges to him, beside adding damages to the train itself  :read2:

It seems that the perpetrator (or culprit?) attempts to fleeing from the law by committing suicide, but what he does was just adding another charges to him, beside adding damages to the train itself  :read2:

I don't think the train was damaged, at least nothing which can't be solved with a high-pressure hose. There have been a few incidents involving broken windscreens and possibly body parts flying across the platform, but in this case the train was slowing to a stop anyway.

This is why I'm glad I don't have to commute here. The nearest I've come is turning up at the local station around midday and discovering the train timetable was completely out of whack due to an incident between that station and the next one, and standing on the platform being able to see some emergency vehicles at the crossing just past the station. Also a couple of weeks ago I took my baby son to the local level crossing (he's fascinated by the lights and beeping noise), anyway it made the "beep beep beep train approaching" noise for a while then stopped without a train passing and the barriers came up - wandering along to the next station and listening to the announcements, it was clear a 人身事故 (jinshinjiko, "person accident") had occurred a couple of stations down. Anyway it was a good opportunity to take some photos of crossing infrastructure.

I am the only here who has seen a Tokyo Metro 16000 series in the video at 2:10? What has it to do with a Tokaido E231-1000?

Wait. What? 24 minutes for someone who jumped down the tracks?

Here we have 55 (at least) minutes delay for similar cases!

Edited by DavideTreni

I am the only here who has seen a Tokyo Metro 16000 series in the video at 2:10? What has it to do with a Tokaido E231-1000?

Referring to another incident on the Joban line the other week when someone trespassed on the tracks.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

The nearest I've come is turning up at the local station around midday and discovering the train timetable was completely out of whack due to an incident between that station and the next one, and standing on the platform being able to see some emergency vehicles at the crossing just past the station.

It is really horrible for your day when you're planned to go to somewhere with the train and you found out that the timetable was completely messed due to a suicide incident  :confused5:

And the train driver and any witnesses and anyone involved in the cleanup...

Unfortunately these events are frequent enough (especially arount the end of the year) that many people (including myself) treat them with a bit of a black sense of humour.

I haven't heard anything more about the Shinbashi incident since.

Edited by railsquid

I don't consider jumping in front of a train suicide, it's taking the easy way out and getting an innocent person  who doesn't even know you (the train driver) to kill you and ruin his or her life as well as your own.

Westfalen,

While I realize your perspective, if you have been with someone who is suicidal you will realize they are so far out there the reality of their actions are something they are not aware of. It is easy to say they are taking the easy way out, but that is not the care. I have dealt with a couple friends at that point and reality to them is very warped at that point. It was an one of the most tram tic things I've ever had to deal with seeing someone you have know a log time and that has been a wonderful, compassionate person that is now in a living hell and who's reality is detached from the world around them.

You just can't expect rational behavior, it's just not there. It is horribly tragic for all those that are involved.

Jeff