Tokai and Shonan liveries

hans-diesel

Hi all,

If I am correct then Tokai livery is from JR Central (= JR Tokai).

But I also see sometimes JR East trains with a livery called Shonan.

These 2 liveries look pretty the same to me (cream with orange and green line).

Can someone explain?

Thanks in advance, Hans

Short version from my understanding, which may be incomplete: the livery was originally called "Shonan livery" but spread along the Tokaido main line, which following JNR's privatisation was split between JR East and JR Tokai (and JR West, though not sure how widespread the livery was there).

The JNR Shōnan livery colors, which were likely inspired by the Emipre Builder color scheme of the Great Northern locomotives and passenger trains, started initially on the JNR trains that operated between Tokyo and (probably) Numazu stations on the Tokaidō Main Line. That color scheme started to spread to other parts of Japan on the 113 and 115 Series EMU's, especially after the JNR split.

Ok, thanks. I just see now that the "original" Shonan livery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/169_series) also has the colors orange and green just as the two colors in the band on the Tokai livery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/119_series). I am especially interested in the livery of the 119 series. This is called Tokai. But I have seen this livery also on JR East EMU's and then they call it (most times) Shonan livery. I would say that the cream body with a orange/green band is inspired on the Shonan livery, but calling it Shonan livery? Or, because it is from JR East instead of JR Central they will not call it Tokai livery? Sometimes the body is not cream but blank stainless steel or plain white.

I hope this is more clear, Hans

Edited by hans-diesel

The Shonan area is an area located about 1 hour south-west outside of Toyko.  Within the operational area of JR East.  Trains used to run through this area decades ago, as they do now.  Over time the routes have change or been extended.  And also how the liveries are represented on the side of trains has changed.

Shonan-Shinjuku-Uneo-Takasaki-Utsunomiya Lines now only have the green and orange strip along the side.  No different from the Sobu line going from the full yellow train to a stainless steel train with yellow strip.

I have noticed recently, especially with the Toyko to Uneo lines becoming operation that the Shonan-Shinjuku Line is referred to the Tokaido Line moreso these days than the Shonan Line.  If was technically a nickname, but the Shonan nickname seems to be loosing its effectiveness.

I cannot comment on JR Centrals use of their liveries.  As I have nil understanding of why they still carry some Shonan liveries on their trains.  The Shonan livery trains used to run along the Tokaido Line when the JNR to JR break up happened.  Maybe they got a lot of the stock that had the Shonan livery and they just stuck with it all this time.

I'm pretty sure the orange and green striped livered trains represent on lines the link JR East and JR Central together on the Tokaido Line. East = green, Central = orange.

JR West for example runs trains along the Kobe-Kyoto lines into Maibara with blue and orange stripes.  Again linking JR Central (orange) and JR West (dark blue).

I think you only find the green-orange livery on trains on the Chuo and Tokaido Lines.  Line that link the two companies.

Edited by katoftw

Thanks everybody. It is now clear to me that not everything is clear. What a lot people call Tokai livery is thus Shonan livery. Even when used by JR Central (JR Tokai).

I learned a lot about liveries thanks to you. What I like is that even the color of the stripes on the Japanese trains have a meaning. And maybe somebody can even explain why east = green, central = orange and west = blue? Is it from the Japanese language, medival colors or...? I know, it has nothing to do with trains (I expect), but it is fun to know.

Hans

I understand the JR Central/Tokai Livery to be orange stripe and cream train.  I don't think green comes into it.

As for the colours of the major passenger railway companies in Japan.  There might be a story behind it somewhere that someone knows.  But I'm sure they just picked some colours they were happy with while the JNR break up happened.

Colours:-

jr_group.jpg

The Shonan colour may have been inspired by the USA based Empire Builder livery, but it is also said the colour represents two major agricultural products of the region along which the Tōkaidō line runs, mainly green tea (Shizuoka) and various kinds of orange coloured citrus fruits (e.g. tangerines (mikan) and oranges) from the Shōnan area. Hence the name 'Shōnan' and 'Tōkai' livery.

Shōnan (as said before) is an area in Kanagawa-ken, a little bit south-west of Tōkyō, with Fujisawa and Enoshima as the central hubs. The area is located along the beaches of Shōnan-bay.

Tōkai refers areas between the Kansai region and the Izu peninsula. It includes Nagoya (Aichi-ken) and Shizuoka(-ken) as the major hubs. Gifu-ken and Mie-ken are also part of this region, making it the mainstay of JR Tōkai, which also includes Yamanashi-ken and Nagano-ken.

The first trains to have carried this livery were the JNR 80 Series, which were also part of the large-scale introduction of the Shōnan-front type trains. Don't confuse this with the 113/115 Series Tōkai-front type trains!

The 80 Series being a revolutionary express EMU design at the time (a bit of a Shinkansen status back then), it was only natural that both the front design and livery quickly became popular. Especially considering trains back then mainly consisted of very conservative colours, like plain dark brown, dark green and dark blue, the fresh orange combination was welcomed with open arms. Next to that, this train ran a Limited Express service, called 'Tōkai' (Tōkyō - Nagoya), which also contributed to the name giving of the livery. More here in Japanese.

Nowadays, JR East is the only company running its trains at large in this livery. Big series long-distance EMU like the E217, E231 and E233-3000 Series have these colours applied as bands on their stainless steel bodies. JR Central (JR Tōkai) has more or less reduced their standard livery to plain orange, rather than combined with dark green. The only types at JR Central still running with this livery are the 211, 213 Series, and KiHa 40/47/48, and KiHa 11 types. These are all JNR based designs (although some delivered after the break-up of JNR) and are being phased out in favour of 313 Series and KiHa 25 types which have a plain orange livery.

I'm not very sure about this, but in the Kantō area, I think this livery is more commonly called 'Shōnan', whereas around Nagoya it is called 'Tōkai'. Maybe due to regional pride or something like that.

• Like 3

I remember sometime back in the mid-eighties, when the Tokaido Line suburban services south of Tokyo were exclusively run with 113 series, I was waiting on a station platform (maybe Yokohama Station), and overhearing nearby a mother speaking with her young son.  He pointed out the 113 series train pulling in to the station, and the mother replied, "yes, that's the shonan densha".  I don't know if the locals still call the trains that, since the design lineage and color scheme has considerably changed since then.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Hello,

Mr Toni Babalony is correct about Shonan colour.  It was first used on JNR 80 System with an orange band at window level on a dark green background.  Today it is an orange line above a green line and the remainder of the car is left unpainted because paint is expensive, right?

SuRoNeFu 25-501

I don't know if the locals still call the trains that, since the design lineage and color scheme has considerably changed since then.

It seems that most of the local people no longer called Tokaido Line's trains (strictly speaking - commuter trains) as "Shonan Densha", but at least the term "Shonan-Shinjuku Line" still inherits the pride of Shonan Densha itself  :grin

Considering that originally it was only used on the Shonan region lines, very much like the color of the Yamanote or Chuo lines. The Yokosuka color has a similar history with the trains going towards Yokosuka. Later both colors were used elswhere and both are nearly extinct, except on the trains of their original lines in the form of a small band and on heritage sets kept in their original paint.

The real Tokai (JR Centeral) livery is imho the orange band on white base (or front). This orange band probably comes from the old JNR capital region color (aka. full orange) and is also carried by some of the JR East Chuo line trains going towards the region.

The misunderstanding of mixed. Tokai/Shonan colors comes from the fact that most heritage JR Central stock carries one form of the legacy Shonan color, either in full paint or as a decorative band. New trains almost always get the official Tokai paint and JR Central is really consistent in its usage as an easy to recognise corporate brand.

JR Central is almost dictatorial in their corporate image--probably because their operational area on Honshu is small compared to JR East and JR West. As such, all their trains sport a clearly identifiable orange stripe on white livery on their currently operational trains (the old KiHa 10's and KiHa 40/47/48 models with different liveries are fast leaving JR Central property either by retirement or sold to other countries). 

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Regarding the Shonan color, I just remembered that JR West once used the Shonan color-inspired livery for use on Sagano Line's 113-5300 and 113-5800 series group (where those trains are modified with necessary equipments for driver-only operations). While the livery itself is officially referred as "Sagano Wanman Color", but however, it is essentially an original Shonan color with white dividing bands being added to differing it from the original ones.

There were shonan color cars as far west as Okayama in the mid-2000s.  I've seen this referred to as kabocha livery, kabocha is winter squash.  I don't remember too clearly anymore, but I think the shonan color trains were formally based at Okayama (as opposed to Hiroshima), and they primarily went north (Hakubi Line), south (Uno and Honshi-Bisan lines), and east (Sanyo and Ako lines) rather than west.

Services west, when run with 113s and 115s, mostly used Hiroshima based formations.  These were Seto-uchi color (cream or off white with a blue stripe, kinda like JR East/Kyushu 415s) and Hiroshima color, which is like café au lait but with a lighter base color.

Just my recollection 10+ years on :grin

• Like 1

After the JNR was split and privatised, both the Shonan and Yokosuka liveries became legacy, along with the JNR era trains and they were pushed back to less important services as soon as funds permitted. This has led them to lines that were rather far from their original areas. (the Shonan and Yokosuka regions) This mixup actually started during the JNR era with the ad-hoc mixing of various express and local dmu types on more rural lines. A similar common base color system was used for the capital region (mostly) dmu-s as a solid orange and for AC trains with a base of solid red. (the other base color for DC units being solid blue) More important lines had (and still have) their own special solid or multi color markings, often only found as thin middle stripes or lately as small markers above the doors.

Interestingly, I remember seeing Shōnan livery 113's and 115's at Kyoto Station--and this was back in 1985, before the JNR breakup. I wonder how did those 113's and 115's end up that far west back in those days.

Kyoto station was on the JNR Tokaido line, so a train starting in Tokyo and running the whole line would eventually end up in Kyoto. The Chuo line had Yokosuka livery 70 series trains as far as Nagoya.

During the JNR era, trains with Shonan/Tokai and Yokosuka/Chuo livery would be running all over the DC powered network, from the far end of the Sanyo line, to the far DC end of the Tohoku line. These liveries just happened to become standard commuter/local train DC liveries for JNR at some point.

• Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

and Hiroshima color

Well, that "末期色" trains are surely invading both Hiroshima (國鐵廣島) and Okayama (國鐵岡山)  :grin 

During the JNR era, trains with Shonan/Tokai and Yokosuka/Chuo livery would be running all over the DC powered network, from the far end of the Sanyo line, to the far DC end of the Tohoku line. These liveries just happened to become standard commuter/local train DC liveries for JNR at some point.

From my knowledge, Shonan colored-trains are running not only as far as Kuroiso for trains that running to the north, but also to Naoetsu (during the JNR days, especially for 115 series trains based at Nagano depot, which the train primarily serves Shin'etsu Line services from Takasaki to Naoetsu via Usui Pass)  :grin

Interestingly, I remember seeing Shōnan livery 113's and 115's at Kyoto Station--and this was back in 1985, before the JNR breakup. I wonder how did those 113's and 115's end up that far west back in those days.

Some of Shonan-colored 113 and 115 series trains were re-allocated by JNR to depots in the Keihanshin regions in the mid-1980s like Mukomachi, Aboshi, Fukuchiyama, etc, so when the JNR was officially dissolved and replaced by JR Group, those trains were given to the JR West   :grin

From those inherited trains, some of them received the following modifications (based on my not-so-good knowledge):

1. Hi-speed refurbishment (高速化改造) - for trains that running on Keihanshin Line rapid services like Special Rapid, etc

2. Wanman refurbishment (ワンマン化改造) - especially for trains assigned to rural lines

3. Driving-car rebuilding (先頭車化改造) - modifications that done by JR West due to shortage of driving cars. Well, it includes the beloved (and not-so-cute!) Sanpachi-kun (サンパチ君)  :grin

4. Repainting into local colors (地域塗装化) - this is done to match with the local region's specialties

5. Conversion into 415-800 series (415系800番台化改造) - received by 113-800 series trains and a small group of 113-0 series cars that moved to Nanao Line as part of Nanao Line's electrification. Since Hokuriku Line is electrified with 20kV 60Hz AC (where Nanao Line trains are normally running up to Kanazawa), the trains were fitted with AC equipments that moved from 485 series trains (which were modified as 183 series)

6. Life-extension refurbishments (延命工事) - this includes those that extensively refurbished, to the point where the raindrop water gutters are changed to "hidden-in-the-roof" type, air ventilations completely removed, and the window is changed to rounded-type aluminium frame ones (which are referred as "体質改善車")  :grin

and so on...

A lot of trains found new homes in the JNR to JR break up.  There is still JR West colour roaming around Kyushu to this day. On day these companies will retire these old rust buckets.  But until then, we can enjoy them.  Old DMUs rock baby!

hans-diesel

JR West for example runs trains along the Kobe-Kyoto lines into Maibara with blue and orange stripes.  Again linking JR Central (orange) and JR West (dark blue).

Does this JR West livery have a name?

Yesterday I received a Bandai B-Train Shorty JR West 207-1000 in this color. I know that this version of the livery is from 2005 onwards. But it is nice to know the general name of the JR West livery with dark blue and orange stripes.

Thanks in advance, Hans

bikkuri bahn

Hans, there appears to be no definitive term for this livery, but I have seen references to it being called the "Keihanshin Kankosen New Color" (with "new" sometimes being replaced with "renewal").  The Keihanshin Kankosen (lit. Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe slow line) is an old JNR term for the local (stopping) services between (traditionally) Kyoto and Kobe/Nishi-Akashi.  The orange band has nothing to do with JR Central, as these local service trains normally only go as far as Kusatsu, and then only during the AM weekday peak.

hans-diesel

hmm, that is unfortunately not short, doesn't fit in my spreadsheet cell width. But very informative, thanks.

Hans