Tomix 92466 and Tomix 92467

serotta1972

What is the difference between these 2 sets? I'm comparing the pictures and can't seem do discern any aside from "Upgrade Cars" and exactly what does that mean? Thanks in advance for any information as I am deciding on which set to purchase.  Looks like I can't go wrong with either set but would be nice to know the difference.  

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10194996/10/0

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10194994/10/0

Edited by serotta1972

Upgraded cars.  I can see the interior seating is different between the sets.  In real life, the interior was probably refurbished sometime in its lifetime.

Guest keio6000

Ah I remember when the Kato azusa new color was selling for crazy money...

I'm usually a fan of Tomix's HG sets, but i see nothing in the photos to warrant the HG label.  This set uses a sticker as a headmark, and, whatever other pluses these sets may have, that ruins it.  I'd say get the kato.

I'm usually a fan of Tomix's HG sets, but i see nothing in the photos to warrant the HG label. This set uses a sticker as a headmark

Are you sure it's a sticker and not the exchangable painted light router inserts used on other HG sets? Otherwise the HG label just means preinstalled TN close couplers. All wheel bogie pickups and CL support are now standard on all tomix sets, even non HG ones.

PS: Is the kato set so much cheaper/higher detail and also off the shelf close coupled?

• Like 1

From Tomix:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/92467.htm

印刷済みトレインマーク付属、「あずさ」装着済み、「かいじ」付属   【初回生産特典】「急行 アルプス」トレインマーク付属

TNカプラー(SP)標準装備

The head mark is printed and exchangeable, and comes with pre-installed TN couplers ~

Thanks guys! Hmmm, decisions decisions.  Both Tomix sets are currently available but not the Kato as it's a much older model through online retailers.  I'm sure the Kato can be had through other avenues.  I guess I can't really go wrong with either one.  HG sets are more than body mounted couplers, many details are separately applied compared to it being a part of the body mold.  Check out the new Tomix 381's and it looks like a model from 10 years ago compared to the 485 or 189 HG models.  A couple of obvious differences are end car details and also roof details such as the gangway hoods and a/c units or whatever else on the roof.  And of course the fancy picture and name of the train in its livery colors on the box. 

HG = Installed TN couplers. Wow!  :laughing3:  Why don't Tomix just drop the "HG" tag, since nearly all their "HG" extras are standards.  I don't own any "HG" sets, but if TN couplers are the only differences between them and non "HG" sets.  It kinda makes a mockery of the "HG" tag doesn't it?

Not really. HG sets use exchangable light inserts for headmarks, so you can even swap some of them while the train is on the track. They have finer (and more fragile) details that are omitted from standard stock or only supplied as a grade up kit. Lots of small details and usually no stickers. The TN-s are usually type specific with hoses, cables and sockets added. A fully upgraded standard set will be still a bit off from a factory HG, very much like an upgraded train collection set is still not quite standard grade.