Storage Case Question ...

Gordon Werner

Gordon Werner

So I am browsing Hobby Search looking at the various storage cases by Casco and I have a few questions.

1. which is better ... cases that store the trains vertically or horizontally? or does it even matter? just curious as they make ones in either aspect ...

2. when ordering the Casco cases ... they DO come with the foam insert part right? or do you have to buy that separately?

I intend to use at least 1 of these to store a bunch of 15-16m rail cars ... so my only real req. is that the foam is removable in such a manner to support such small (length) cars ... which Casco seems to do.

If anyone has specific recommendations ... please let me know!

Thanx

Gordon

horizontal or vertical, it doesn't matter.  i bet some of you current models are stored both ways.

casco offer the insert by itself, the case by itself, and both together.  if on hobby search.  it will tell you anyway.  you'll find the inserts @ 800-900.  the cases @ 1100-1300.  and combined 1600-2100.

other than that.  pick a colour you like, and how many cars it will hold.  I'm using a casco insert in a tomix case for my tomytec trains.  mainly Kiha 125s and Otsu 600s/700s.

katoftw has mentioned the most regarding these cases.. I used some of the Casco cases for my buses too~

Just to add on regarding length; these inserts, be it Tomix or Kato or Cascos, they can be cut to fit your required length, but they wouldn't look so nice of course.

Gordon Werner

thanx ...

I'm using a casco insert in a tomix case for my tomytec trains.  mainly Kiha 125s and Otsu 600s/700s.

if you don't mind me asking ... which Tomix case ... #6217?

Edited by Gordon Werner

all the 62XX cases (and most tomix cases) are all the same, just the inserts are different.  the case came from the DD51 Kesei Line Goodbye set which had a horrible polystyrene insert.  brought a 6216 to put all the kokis in. put polystyrene insert straight in the bin.

so i have a empty case, so brought the casco insert for 810 yen and put in.  i wouldn't do it again though.  i also needed to buy the casco 3mm backing foam sheets (6 pack) for 810 yen.  so all up 1620 yen.  could've just brought a normal case for that money.

when i brought the insert, i assumed it would've come with the 3mm backing sheet.  it did not.  so brought the sheets since i was already too far to turn back.  so now have five spare 3mm backing sheets.

inset - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10296600

sheets - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10314082

i personally just buy the casco storage case B for 12 cars (for 20m class rolling stock), in whatever colour you prefer.  also comes in a 10 car version if you like some extra padding around the cars.

Edited by katoftw
Gordon Werner

i personally just buy the casco storage case B for 12 cars (for 20m class rolling stock), in whatever colour you prefer.  also comes in a 10 car version if you like some extra padding around the cars.

thanx for the tips  ... this is what I went ahead and did 

G

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Kato 10-213 is an empty case with no foam.  Perfect for 7 jewel cases or more of the smaller ones.

Store the locos horizontal so that the lubricants don't run or settle oddly.

to those of you who already have casco cases, what about the quality of foam inserts if we compared with tomix, kato or micro ace products?

I am also interested to buy the case for my unboxed cars..

Edited by Robert46

Looking at the Tomix cases with a view to acquiring one for my Asakaze set.

The complete train is supposed to be eight cars plus loco, so I want a case which can take that (even though I only have five cars so far, and two of them aren't actually the right type but look close enough). So I'm looking at 6217, but is there something more suitable that I've missed? 6217 doesn't really have a specific slot for a Bo-Bo-Bo loco, obviously I can trim the foam but if they make something that would be a better fit to begin with...

Edited by Welshbloke

Looks much the same as the Tomix, at least where the foam is concerned?

I'd rather stick with Tomix as that way I'll be able to tell at a glance what it is, I only have one other Tomix book set (500 Series Shinkansen) so it'll be easy to tell it apart from my Kato stock.

Tomix don't do what Kato do and put the loco in the same case as the cars.  Some Kato cases have the feature to pull the foam out of the jewel case and into the book style case.

Both Tomix 6207 and 8208 for example will hold both.  But the loco normally is 2-3cm short than the cars, so it will move around.

62086217.JPG

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

all those insert chunks of foam you end up with (someone was enterprisingly selling these last 4/1) should give you stock to slice up a nicely fitting piece for one or both ends!

use these, they work great for this sort of cutting (or a scroll saw if you have one)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Useful-Hot-steel-Stainless-Jewelers-Saw-Frame-5Saw-Frame-Jewelry-Tool-JNWB-/191627268345?hash=item2c9de010f9:g:ClcAAOxy-WxTCEpw

or this in your dremel tool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-Steel-3mm-Cutting-Dia-Twist-Drilling-Bit-for-Electric-Drill-/351213559323?hash=item51c5f59e1b:g:4uQAAOSwbdpWXxMU

cheers

jeff

I see so casco has same quality inserts.. definitely will try to have one in the future..

Wow.. the 6216 is able to load up for 12 cars, I thought the maximum numbers it can handle is only 10 cars... does it fit for long car such as shinkansen rolling stock?

Gordon Werner

I see so casco has same quality inserts.. definitely will try to have one in the future..

Wow.. the 6216 is able to load up for 12 cars, I thought the maximum numbers it can handle is only 10 cars... does it fit for long car such as shinkansen rolling stock?

Casco  makes a number of cases designed for Shinkansen models ... 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=casco+shinkansen

as well as ones that can hold up to 16 21m type cars

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10356641

• Like 1

Yes the first link you provided is for 10 cars storage.. and already sold out.. 

with 16 cars case, that's really cool but I noted the size of the case is basically combination of two 8 cars cases. Really big. :) 

Casco  makes a number of cases designed for Shinkansen models ... 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=casco+shinkansen

Yap these things work like a charm... But they are always out of stock... I did managed to get only 2 of them when they were available, for my E5 and 200 series. Now I need a third one for my E2-1000...

There are quite a number of 10 car shinkansens and it would be great to be able to put them all into one case...

1) 200 series

2) E2-1000 series (upcoming Yamabiko model too)

3) E5

4) H5

Keeping to the original book size cases, I think 10 for shinkansen would be the maximum it can actually go... Looking at the 10cars case there is almost no more additional spaces for adding even 1 more car, especially when Shinkansens are much longer in length...

Of course I would love to have a 12 car normal size book case too for: 

1) E1 Max

2) E7 / W7

Then there are the wishes for the 16 car sets for the long Tokaido line shinkansens: 

1) 0 series

2) 100 series

3) 200 series H formation

4) 300 series

5) 500 series

6) 700 series

7) N700/ N700A/ N700a series

as well as ones that can hold up to 16 21m type cars

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10356641

with 16 cars case, that's really cool but I noted the size of the case is basically combination of two 8 cars cases. Really big. :)

Robert46 beat me to it... Yap the 16 cars is definitely much larger than the typical normal bookcase size...

Personally, the Casco cases are my primary choice. They are light, a little bit flexible, and have good soft foam which makes them pretty good for transportation. Especially the 12 car cases are a dream for standard sized trains (18~21m).

In extreme cases, you can also modify the foam to exactly fit your needs. This is especially handy with small and odd shaped rolling stock.

The worst are MicroAce cases by far, since they have hard foam and have a tendency to chip off plastic every now and then.

Yap these things work like a charm... But they are always out of stock... I did managed to get only 2 of them when they were available, for my E5 and 200 series. Now I need a third one for my E2-1000...

There are quite a number of 10 car shinkansens and it would be great to be able to put them all into one case...

1) 200 series

2) E2-1000 series (upcoming Yamabiko model too)

3) E5

4) H5

Keeping to the original book size cases, I think 10 for shinkansen would be the maximum it can actually go... Looking at the 10cars case there is almost no more additional spaces for adding even 1 more car, especially when Shinkansens are much longer in length...

Of course I would love to have a 12 car normal size book case too for: 

1) E1 Max

2) E7 / W7

Then there are the wishes for the 16 car sets for the long Tokaido line shinkansens: 

1) 0 series

2) 100 series

3) 200 series H formation

4) 300 series

5) 500 series

6) 700 series

7) N700/ N700A/ N700a series

Robert46 beat me to it... Yap the 16 cars is definitely much larger than the typical normal bookcase size...

12 car case will only be possible by adding the width of the case slightly.. the 16 car case really tempting as it can be a nice case for 16 car set of my Tomix 300 series old version because it will be impossible to put 16 car set in two original bookcases.. :)  the 92389 is only for 7 car, the 92124 is only for 6 or 7 car too if I am correct. so the other 2 add-on cars won't fit normal cases.. definitely will have to buy casco case 16 cars for this set.. 

The worst are MicroAce cases by far, since they have hard foam and have a tendency to chip off plastic every now and then.

Well, then the new inserts from casco can be the replacement..  :)  but need to be sure with the new release of Micro Ace foam inserts... hope they have better new ones.

Gordon Werner

Yes the first link you provided is for 10 cars storage.. and already sold out.. 

yes I know ... but the item number stays the same so if you have that then you can find it elsewhere

Gordon Werner

yeah ... I had to set an automated restock notification for the 10 car ones (20m) since they are hard to reliably obtain

Edited by Gordon Werner