DC controllers vs. DCC controllers (appearance and operation)

NXCALE

Hi all,

As I was not able to find a post about it in the forum and being still a beginner in the hobby, I was wondering about this topic: DC controllers vs. DCC controllers (appearance and operation).

I understand that DCC has several features that DC does not provide. However, I would like to focus this post on the appearance and the way that the trains are controlled. On one hand, there are DCC controllers that can be used with only one hand but also some of these have the look of a TV remote controller. On the other hand, there are DC controllers with fewer features but some have been designed to give that in-cab feeling (there is a post of it: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9802-tomix-controllers/?hl=%2Btomix+%2Bcontrollers).  

It would be easy to get off the topic and talk (type) about other characteristics/benefits of the controllers (and DCC/DC). However, I would like to keep the topic in these two points: appearance and operation.

p.s. I understand that the choice should be based on particular needs and goals but still I am curious about other people’s opinions.

Some dcc central units (ex. Digitrax ones) support the usage of analog jump throttles, that allows the use of analog driving stands with dcc.

I'm not aware of any factory made full stand dcc controllers though.

Your intuitiveness is picking up on the two dynamics of modeling that some fail to see. The appearance verses operation is what you are differentiating. It seems that the Japaneses modeling culture enjoys simulating the cab experience. Meaning the experience of controlling the train from the cabs prospective. The experience is seeing the controls of the cab being the primary experience and the visual observation from the outside perspective is secondary.

Outside of Japan is appears that the modeling experience is based on replicating the operation of the trains. Watching the trains from the outside so to speak. In this case the attention is focused on the operation of the train from the perspective of the viewer. The controls become secondary and the visual observation of the trains operating becomes the primary factor that contributes to the modeling experience.

This brings us to the DC verses DCC question.

DCC allows us to recreate the multi train operations simultaneously. The bulk of the design dollars are applied to the electronics that give us the ability to recreate this spectacle. By default the look of the controls is secondary as the main focus or attention is placed on the layout. DCC allows us to recreate the modeling experience from the side of the hill overlooking the scenery.

MRC-1410.jpgNCE-PowerCabSystem-6.jpg NCE Power cab is self contained.

DC does not provide the dynamic operation but caters to the single train operation. Because the modeler is looking to recreate the cab experience the design dollars are placed on the overall look of the controller. In this case the modeler will focus on the controller and the internal operation of the train. He wants to see the dash and all the knobs and switches within the cab. 

Tomix%205521%20N-S2-CL%20TCS%20Power%20&

Hopefully this is what you are querying. 

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Thank you, you explained very well my point of view.

I imagine that this could be one of the reasons why DC is popular in Japan.

If someone else has more info, ideas or opinions, please share them.

Guest Closed Account 1

Regardless of the DC controller all you really are doing is varying voltage and running one train at a time. Lights get brighter with speed.

In DCC, Lights stay bright. You can control your trains and switches, etc with a smarter phone. My club has trains running DCC while we aren't there.

With PWM and CL you get nice bright lights even while standing still and the motors are driven with a high torque pulse, exactly the same as from a DCC decoder. Most Tomix controllers already use this. The wireless throttle is also nice. And all this in analog.

Ps: Tomix turnouts are fully power routing, so by selecting the right path they automatically select the right throttle. If you only run a single train in a block this is more than enough.

Hi. I noticed that there could be some misunderstanding about the differences between Japanese DC controllers and American/European DC controllers. The latter no having many or non in-cab style controllers (neither Constant Lighting).

There is actually a Topic where some of these controllers are being commented. All are invited to have a look: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/9802-tomix-controllers/page-2?do=findComment&comment=126722

Edited by nxcale

What I mean is that there could some lack of information about the characteristics of Japanese DC controllers like the Constant Lighting (CL) characteristic or characteristics of the Japanese in-cab style controllers. I checked information about DC controllers from US/EU which I believe some people are more familiar with. However, I was only able to find the classic DC controllers (i.e. knob style ones without CL).

I mentioned something about it in my first post in this forum: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10874-almost-two-years-of-isolation-the-point-of-view-of-a-lone-wolf-beginner/  (by the way, it has been one week since I joined the forum, this calls for a celebration!).

Also, I wanted to focus the idea of this topic on appearance and operation of DC controllers (see below) as my goal is to know what other people think about it.

It would be easy to get off the topic and talk (type) about other characteristics/benefits of the controllers (and DCC/DC). However, I would like to keep the topic in these two points: appearance and operation.

Nxcale,

Threads do wander a bit here and we pretty much let them as interesting things pop up many times. Your start to the topic covered a pretty broad range so this topic may stray a lot.

Great to cross link other threads in as there is a large amount of content from years past on similar stuff. The nature of forums usual leads to older content getting buried, but that does not mean it's not useful!

Cheers

Jeff