Announcements On Board Tokyo Metro trains (and beyond)

The guard will often provide a lot of additional information about connections, stations which will be skipped etc., and every now and again ask for cooperation in not running onto the train at the last second after someone has done just that.

I have never known what was being said onboard the trains if it was a male voice, as this will most likely be the guard. But if I hear the female voice, I know that english should follow. Japan was the first "non english" speaking country I visited, but it was so great, I am coming back again.

You're lucky to have the Keisei, Keikyū, Toei Asakusa line network receiving schedule change this month with a Sakura (Keisei) - Misakiguchi (Keikyū) direct service being revived! ;) This means that Keikyū and Keisei trains will be penetrating each other's main lines deeply again via the Toei Asakusa line. And yes, it sounds as good as it does.

It is good when they make changes like this. When you see the same thing, day in, day out, after a time it can become less interesting. I will going wherever the 5300 class on the A line (and beyond) take me.

Sounds like it's time to take a break, Toni, no more trains.  Maybe some mountain asceticism would be good.  Tofu and water.  Let us know how you get on.

I think it's already too late for me... The mountains with tofu also harbour trains...

f0052940_22341212.jpg

(I can see this mountain area from the back window of our appartement)

It is good when they make changes like this. When you see the same thing, day in, day out, after a time it can become less interesting. I will going wherever the 5300 class on the A line (and beyond) take me.

Don't forget to hop on a Keisei 3400 for that ultra powerful 1st generation Skyliner sound (yes, the 3400s underbodywork is almost all from the original AE1 Series), or a Keikyū 800 for incredible acceleration and some of the last single-door operating commuter EMU in the Kantō area, as well as the only 18m 4-door cars. ;)

• Like 2

Don't forget to hop on a Keisei 3400 for that ultra powerful 1st generation Skyliner sound (yes, the 3400s underbodywork is almost all from the original AE1 Series), or a Keikyū 800 for incredible acceleration and some of the last single-door operating commuter EMU in the Kantō area, as well as the only 18m 4-door cars. ;)

Wow, I never knew that. Got to get out and about for a bit of "research", methinks.

• Like 1

That's good info on the 3400 series I wasn't aware of, Toni.  I see they run in 6M2T formations, with motor driving cars (my preference).  The Keikyu 800 series are some of my favorite Kanto area types (along with the Tokyu 8500 series), one reason being the all M formations.

• Like 1

That's good info on the 3400 series I wasn't aware of, Toni.  I see they run in 6M2T formations, with motor driving cars (my preference).  The Keikyu 800 series are some of my favorite Kanto area types (along with the Tokyu 8500 series), one reason being the all M formations.

The 3400's unpowered cars were originally the AE1 front cars, which were moved to a central position, since Keikyū requires the front cars to be powered for rolling stock to be able to run on the Keikyū network. The original AE1 Skyliner had one test run on the Keikyū Main line, but because of the lack of front doors, the AE1 wasn't even eligible for running on the Asakusa line, let alone the Keikyū network because of unpowered front cars.

This is why you don't see Keisei 3600s running beyond Sengakuji towards Shinagawa, as these have unpowered front cars. The only Keikyu 3600 ever to run on the Keikyū network is the 2+2-car formation of the VVVF rebuilt 3600s, as traction for new rolling stock (e.g. N3000 Series) to Kanazawa-hakkei.

If you're lucky, you can see 4+4+4 (12M) formations in rush hour on the Keikyū line of N1000 Series.

It's interesting the 3400 type has a brake setup inherited from their AE parentage, where the regenerative breaking cuts out at the relatively high speed of 45km/h, with all braking below that air only.  Also, the original AE types had a form of "cruise control"- where above 50km/h the master controller (throttle) could be set at a designated speed, and the system would maintain that speed in concert with the regenerative brakes- apparently this made the job easier for drivers on the AE services on the curvy Keisei Main Line.

• Like 1

...since Keikyū requires the front cars to be powered for rolling stock to be able to run on the Keikyū networ...

Keikyu seems to be quite particular in what can/cannot run on their rails.  They also require run-through stock to have bolster bogies.

Keikyu seems to be quite particular in what can/cannot run on their rails.  They also require run-through stock to have bolster bogies.

Well, if you look at their super intense operations, the relatively high speeds, the number of companies running on their network (Keisei, Hokusō, Chiba New Town, Toei), and the immense variety of rolling stock (past and present), it'd only be natural to have serious limitations on the rolling stock you'd allow on your network. Keisei also maintains very strict guidelines for the newly constructed Airport Access route where even only a very limited number of their own stock can run on.

It's interesting the 3400 type has a brake setup inherited from their AE parentage, where the regenerative breaking cuts out at the relatively high speed of 45km/h, with all braking below that air only.  Also, the original AE types had a form of "cruise control"- where above 50km/h the master controller (throttle) could be set at a designated speed, and the system would maintain that speed in concert with the regenerative brakes- apparently this made the job easier for drivers on the AE services on the curvy Keisei Main Line.

Interesting. I didn't know that fact! That makes the 3400 even more interesting :)

I think we've discussed this a bit, does it have anything to do with that subway derailment several years back?  Or was that just something else to do with how the bogies were attached?

I think we've discussed this a bit, does it have anything to do with that subway derailment several years back?  Or was that just something else to do with how the bogies were attached?

I think the accident made Tokyo Metro go back to specifying bolster equipped bogies for their new rolling stock. As for Keikyu, they have always been a bolster friendly operation, apparently it has to do with the better stability offered by the type on the sharp curves and S curves found on the Keikyu Line.

• Like 1