Tomix Power Unit N-600 SA110L-12 model

Yamanotesan

Dear forum member,

First time posting and I have been searching for my answer with no available or perhaps I didn't search long enough so I am seeking for your experience advice please.

I have just started this hobby and imported bunch of basic set, rail, trains, building/scenery etc from japan and they are all Tomix. They are sitting next to me now and I just cant wait to get my hands on it. However the thing that concern me is, I live in Western Australia with 240V power. The sets that I bought came with N-600 power unit model SA110L-12 and it has the specification noted below:

================================================

Tomix power unit N-600 use                                                    

Model   : SA110L-12

Switching Adapter

Input     : 100-240V ~

50-60Hz 0.3A

Output  : 12V - 1A 12W

and then small box directly below with separate specification:

JQA

Input   : AC 100V

50/60Hz 25VA

Output: DC 12V 1A

===============================================

My doubt is very obvious, do I need a step down transformer or it can be plug in straight away albeit I just need to get the adapter plug? The Japanese instruction manual that comes with it all have 100V written but then the adapter has input range of 100-240V just the small JQA specification has 100V as input. Which one is correct in this case? do I follow the 100-240V range or the JQA.

I wouldn't mind getting the transformer as long as someone with experience can confirm for me please? I tried to upload the picture but it kept failing.....

Any help/advice appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Yamanotesan:

Firstly welcome to the forums!

And yes you can plug in directly to the mains. We in Sillypore also uses 240V, and I have the N600 controller too which I just plug into the mains. As long as the adapter stated input 100~240V it shouldn't be any problems ~

Have fun!

Thank you so much JR500kei...

Now I need is just an adapter plug and I am set to go :)

I don't know why they have that small specification under JQA that state only 100V, this just cause confusion to consumer on which to follow...

No worries.... I assume it is the same one as the one posted below?

As long as the input says 110-230V, it's safe to plug in direct without the need of a step-down. However, Kato power packs definitely require step-down as their input is stated as 110V... Same as the TCS Power Unit N-DU202-CL

10016995.jpg

post-819-0-06408500-1448353115_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't see the problem.  You don't live in a country that has 100V inputs, so it is a mute issue.

Denan Law in Japan requires electric products to have various marking on them to be sold within Japan.  The PSE (Specified Electric Product Mark only pretains to Japanese regulations.

https://www.jqa.jp/english/safety/service/mandatory/pse/ Link is first option when you google JQA.

---

Tomix offering switching mode transformers means it is one up on Kato.  I'd prefer to buy a $1.50 plug converter that a $36.95 240V transformer.

Some of the Tomix transformers have a kettle cord plug, so you can just switch the cord out and not require a plug converter.

Edited by katoftw

Yup exactly the same as the one attached by you JR500kei.

I am currently unpacking and building the track, my son is sitting next to me and he is more excited than me :-)

Kids are like that.  Especially train lovin' boys.  Sometimes I don't get to open packages from Japan, as they do it for me excitedly.  They recognize the ones from Japan and go nuts.

Tomix offering switching mode transformers means it is one up on Kato.

Kato controllers can be run from anything between 12-16V AC/DC, so it's not that important to make a universal adapter for them. Also it's easier to make a switching mode universal adapter than an isolating AC mode transformer, what Kato uses. (and it can be run with common rail wiring, while switching adapters can't as they have a common zero on the net side)

Thank you so much JR500kei...

Now I need is just an adapter plug and I am set to go :)

I don't know why they have that small specification under JQA that state only 100V, this just cause confusion to consumer on which to follow...

Hello Mr Yamanotesan,

The transformer will certainly work in your country with the appropriate adapter however, before you go and buy a travel adapter please consider purchasing a complete transformer from Ebay.  I've had several examples myself where it was cheaper to buy a complete transformer with the correct plug on ebay than it was to buy a simple travel adapter from the local electronics store.

sometime, as power supply/transformer, you can also look at used laptops power supply. They work with 100-240 VAC input.

Don't look latest ones, as they may be 19VDC, but on older laptops they where 12 or 16VDC which is perfect for us as output

And you may get them cheap or even free..

Edited by Alemino

The output of the transformer isn't really the issue here kvp. The input is the issue.

I'm talking about that it's hard to make a safe AC multi voltage isolating transformer and very expensive. Switching mode adapters can't be run in common rail mode, which means if you swap the kato AC transformer to a DC switching mode adapter, you might have to rewire your layout if you have more than one controller and it's not safe to mix them.

Many european layouts have become unusable after upgrading from trafos to switching adapters as they have a common null potential through the high voltage line and common rail wiring gives an instant short once the controllers are turned to opposing directions. Isolating AC transformers solve this problem by having floating zero points.

Making an AC transformer multivoltage is either unsafe (with manual control) or expensive (with automatic tap changers).

Imho this is a tradeoff between easy pwm and cl capability with a switching adapter and easy legacy wiring with an ac trafo.

StephOfTheEast

Hi all, I'm sorry to pull up an old topic, especially to ask a question that may be obvious to the rest of you, but I'm really puzzled by the voltage situation as well. I'm keen to buy the new Tomix Thomas DX Set (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-22069) when it is released. I've never used any electric trains apart from a bog-standard Hornby 00 set purchased locally so I know very little about the electrical side of things. Is it indeed okay to plug a Tomix controller directly into a simple travel adaptor? I'm in Australia which as OP stated has 240 volt household supply which seems rather excessive for a 100 volt appliance? Anybody in Australia or other countries using a Tomix controller with a basic adaptor and not a step-down transformer? Does it work fine? Cheers

Steph,

Yep a newer transformer from Tomix will hopefully have a universal wall wart transformer (it drops the house ac to 12c DC for the controller to use) that can handle input house voltages of 100-240v and 50/60 cycles. So all you should need is the plug converter. But I think the current n-600 has only a 100v transformer, but not sure if they will be replacing the wall wart with a universal one here in newer releases.

If when it comes it only says 100v ac input (not 100-240v ac) then yes you will need a 240 to 100v step down transformer. They are like $20 or so. Also you could probably find a local 240v ac to 12v DC wall wart with the right little plug on the end to plug into the tomix controller (these are pretty standard).

Most controllers these days use an external wall wart transformer to bring house ac down to like 12 DC (can vary some) that is fed into the controller. The controller then varies that 12v DC from 0 to 12v to run the train.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

post-1782-0-51840600-1474274102_thumb.jpg

This is it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xus+to+a.TRS0&_nkw=us+to+au+power+adaptor&_sacat=0

And the adaptors you need.

edit//  I was just looking at the Thomas sets.  A big "IF" the pictures are correct, then one comes with a N-400 and the other set (with turnouts) comes with a N-600.  Pretty sure a N-400 only comes with a 100V transformer.  But then I haven't seen a N-400 new for many years.  Hence the big "IF".

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
StephOfTheEast

attachicon.gif10160414a4.jpg

This is it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xus+to+a.TRS0&_nkw=us+to+au+power+adaptor&_sacat=0

And the adaptors you need.

edit//  I was just looking at the Thomas sets.  A big "IF" the pictures are correct, then one comes with a N-400 and the other set (with turnouts) comes with a N-600.  Pretty sure a N-400 only comes with a 100V transformer.  But then I haven't seen a N-400 new for many years.  Hence the big "IF".

Thanks. I'm planning to get the larger set anyway, but I'll probably wait until they're out and someone else has them in-hand, just to avoid any unpleasant surprises with a pre-order.  :happy3: