119 Series "Suruga Shuttle"

Welshbloke

I have one of these on order from the Tomytec range, along with the parts to make it a runner.

One thing though - the packaging suggests two different types of pantograph, a PS16P or a PS23. Anyone know why? Were they changed during the life of the unit or is it a case of earlier and later batches?

I'm planning to fit a PS16P as I have a spare one, but I'm curious.

• Like 1

The PS16 was used on the Suruga Shuttle.  I don't fully understand the description of the PS23A, it was smaller to fit through a structure gauge tunnel.  Someone else will be able to explain that.  Anyway, it was changed to the PS16 which is a standard type.

The Suruga Shuttle and original JNR liveries looked cool, I'm glad that 12 of these live on with the Echizen although they've been modified and repainted.

From the Japanese wikipedia https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9B%BD%E9%89%84119%E7%B3%BB%E9%9B%BB%E8%BB%8A#.E3.81.99.E3.82.8B.E3.81.8C.E3.82.B7.E3.83.A3.E3.83.88.E3.83.AB :

パンタグラフを狭小建築限界トンネル対策形のPS23A形から一般形のPS16形に交換し

My guess would be that the PS23 was slightly smaller, for routes with a more restricted loading gauge?

Could be that other 119-0s were fitted with it, while the Suruga Shuttle units weren't. The pairs of single car 119s Tomytec also offer only suggest the PS23.

I still wonder why they tried to use the 119 Series EMU on the Suruga Shuttle service when it was obvious that the acceleration and top speed of the 119's were not well-suited for operations on the Gotemba Line and Tokaidō Main Line.

I still wonder why they tried to use the 119 Series EMU on the Suruga Shuttle service when it was obvious that the acceleration and top speed of the 119's were not well-suited for operations on the Gotemba Line and Tokaidō Main Line.

Traffic demands elsewhere apparently dictated the moving of 113 series off the service.  The acceleration for a motor-trailer combination is identical between the 119 series amd 113 series (1.6km/h/s), the top speed difference of 10km/h is likely negligible given the nature of the service, at least on the Gotemba Line, if not the Tokaido Line.  Later the service was switched back to 113 series and later designs.  I suppose it was a stopgap.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

My guess would be that the PS23 was slightly smaller, for routes with a more restricted loading gauge?

Could be that other 119-0s were fitted with it, while the Suruga Shuttle units weren't. The pairs of single car 119s Tomytec also offer only suggest the PS23.

Yes, the 119 series was designed to operate on the sparsely populated, mountainous Iida, Ooito and Minobu Lines, which have many tunnels, likely built to restricted dimensions.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

PS23 pantographs are essentially modified version of PS16 pantograph, which the pantograph features a lower clearance that is largely required by trains being built for Chuo Line (west of Takao), Minobu Line, Iida Line, and other lines that running through tunnels that built with lower ceiling height (characterized by the lower distance between the rail head and the contact wire for sections inside the tunnel).

Trains that receiving this pantograph are normally having the roof being lowered (for the part where the pantograph is mounted) to facilitate the usage of this pantograph, but with the advent of single-arm pantograph (like PS33, PS35, etc) that capable to be used on lower clearance sections, it allows the builder to use normal roof, even on the trains that running through smaller tunnels (well, it reduced the cost for building the train) :confused5: