Kominato Railway Torokko

Kabutoni

The Kominato Railway is well known for its fleet of KiHa20 derived KiHa200 series, a relatively unchanging fleet that is well maintained by its caring staff. No mentions of replacement or new rolling stock were being found, until this started moving last weekend:

The Satōyama Torokko.

Yes, it looks like a steam train, but is a diesel locomotive (DB4) in fact. Built in the image of an O&K steamer, it runs in a push-pull formation with four cars (HaFu 101, TeHa 101, TeHa 102 and KuHa 101). Some may not like an imitation steamer, but considering the costs of running a steam train and having to build all the maintenance facilities probably were a tad too high. IMHO it looks super cute and is definitely on the list to ride with the family one day.

Here are some pictures in a short article on the construction of this train: http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-460.html

This could be an inspiration for other 3rd sector and small private railway companies (Kominato is owned by Kujyūkuri RR and Keisei) to go for an original and financially feasible concept.

P.s. I can't wait until a model comes out! I have my money on World Kogei to do this in their Pla Series.

• Like 2

There is at least one previously existing faux-steam operation in Japan - on the Kamioka Railway.

That is Botchan from Iyotetsu, which runs on the Matsuyama tram network. It's also a diesel and runs already since 2001, but is a tram, rather than a train.

That is Botchan from Iyotetsu, which runs on the Matsuyama tram network. It's also a diesel and runs already since 2001, but is a tram, rather than a train.

There are a number of videos on YouTube showing how they "turn around" that unusual tram.