Kato AC / DC adapter

enodenlover

Do any of you know of an online retailer who sells Kato's AC / DC adaptor separate from the power pack? I goofed up the other day and accidentally dropped mine while trying to plug it in. No problem if it had landed on the carpet but instead it hit the metal floor heat register good n' hard and now all I have is a new paperweight. I'd prefer not to have to spend any of my limited train budget on a second power pack that I don't need so hopefully one of you will know of a source for the adaptor I need.

The sticker on my transformer says that the output is 16V AC and at least 1.5A. A higher amp rating shouldn't do any harm as the controller will trip out if too much current is drawn through it. Interestingly the controller's sticker says 15v AC input, but the transformer came with it and both seem happy working together.

The good news is that 16V AC is a standard model railway voltage, both as an accessory feed and more recently to power DCC central control units. There should be plenty of suitable mains transformers out there as a result. Just add a length of low voltage two core wire and a suitable plug to connect to the controller input, and everything should be fine.

ask nariichi-san from model train plus.  the last power pack i brought i let him keep the transformer as it isn't suitable for australia power standards.  not good paying for the extra weight and space in a shipping package.  he still may have it available.

According to Sumida Crossing, any DC or AC pack would work if it's in the 12-16V range and can output at least 1A as the Kato throttle simply rectifies it to DC right after the input plug. http://sumidacrossing.org/LayoutElectricity/ModelTrainPower/PowerPackTesting/

ps: i think i've just found the 9V Tomix controller i mentioned some time ago...

Edited by kvp

Inobu, I did as you suggested and called Kato USA. They have a few of the AC adapters laying around and said they'd sell me one for twenty bucks. All of my equipment is going to be sitting in the yard for a couple of more weeks but revenue service should be restored before Christmas.

• Like 1

My new AC adapter finally arrived today so the unfortunate suspension of rail service in the "Kitchentable prefecture" has come to an end. Just in time to transport those Christmas crowds!

• Like 1