381 Series in Kansai end regular service

SuRoNeFu 25-501

According to this news item on Tetsudou Fan news, 381 series EMUs have been removed from regularly scheduled service in Kansai.  This will include Kuroshio, Maizuru, Hashidate, and Kounotori services. 

http://railf.jp/news/2015/10/31/205000.html

Ceremony at Fukuchiyama Station, by ayokoi

Well, they have been finally replaced by the 287 series trains...

I believe that the many 381's are being replaced by 289 Series EMU's--essentially former 683 Series EMU's without the dual-voltage capability. 

I wonder what will they do with the retired 381's. Will they be scrapped, or become spare parts for the Yakumo service 381's between Okayama and Izumoshi?

Edited by Sacto1985
SuRoNeFu 25-501

I believe that the many 381's are being replaced by 289 Series EMU's--essentially former 683 Series EMU's without the dual-voltage capability.

This is exactly the same with those that happened on JR East's 651 series, as well as JR West's 183 series trains that converted from 485 series. However, JR West used different classification number for identifying 683 series cars that rebuilt to become DC-only trainsets, while JR East used different subseries number for DC-only modification 651 series cars, which is reclassified as 651-1000 series (though JR West's 183 series that converted from 485 series were reclassified in the same way with 651-1000 series cars).

I didn't know they have already been put into service! And the 287s are still very new!

They look nice! Although they are basically a re-paint of the 683 series Thunderbird/ Serasagi...

With the 381's no longer in service in the Keihanshin region, does this mean that JR West may just purge all the 381's, including those running on the Yakumo service between Okayama and Izumoshi? Will this mean the Yakumo service will switch to a more modern trainset like the 287 or even refurbished 681's?

I still think that with the Yakumo refurbs being only about 5 years old, there's still a lot of life left in those trains. But with these neutered 681s being available, maybe JR West won't try to squeeze quite as much out of the 381s.

I still think that with the Yakumo refurbs being only about 5 years old, there's still a lot of life left in those trains. But with these neutered 681s being available, maybe JR West won't try to squeeze quite as much out of the 381s.

With the refurbished 381's in Yakumo service only upgraded recently, and now with the spare trainsets and/or spare parts from retired 381's, I wouldn't be surprised that JR West keeps the 381 in Yakumo service at least till 2022. 

• Like 1

Sort of off topic but I was wondering what these particular front/face of the 381 is called. These seem to be another very common front used in different model trains such as the 189 and 485 and with even modern variations. Thanks.

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Sort of off topic but I was wondering what these particular front/face of the 381 is called. These seem to be another very common front used in different model trains such as the 189 and 485 and with even modern variations. Thanks.

Honestly, it seems that no colloquial name ever being created for referring the front design of JNR-era limited express EMUs. But however, the front design's origin is from the ones that almost being forgotten:

The 583 series (includes its 1.5kV DC/20kV 60Hz AC only predecessor, the 581 series), otherwise known as "Gekko-type EMU" (月光形電車)

• Like 2