Odakyu and JR East through operations

As of last month, Odakyū and JR East are testing equipment with through running on each others' networks: http://rail.hobidas.com/rmn/archives/2015/10/jre2332000_3.html

Odakyū 4000 on the JR East Jyōban line:

JR East E233-2000 on the Odakyū Tama line:

Prior to these tests, the only trains that operated on all the connecting commuter lines on the Tōkyō Metro Chiyoda line were the Tōkyō Metro trains themselves only (6000, 06 and 16000 Series).

In terms of operation, not much change is expected to happen, as there are already regular through services from the Odakyū network over the Chiyōda line to the JR East Jyōban line.

The cooperation with JR East and Odakyū is however quite surprising, as these two companies always had a very strong competition going on between the Shōnan area (Odawara (Hakone) & Fujisawa (Enoshima)) and the central Tokyo Metropolitan area (Shinjuku).

It'd be interesting to see an extended Odakyū Ltd. Express service operate over (a part of) the Jyōban line to grant the west of Tōkyō a convenient and quick access to the Shōnan area.

• Like 4

I suppose that means that the Odakyu types will have to be fitted (along with JR-E and Tokyo Metro stock) with the Thales CBTC system to be used on the Ayase-Toride section of the Joban local line. Easy enough as the Odakyu 4000 series is just another variant of the ubiquitous E233/JTREC design.  I read there is no plan to run limited express types on this stretch of track, though that was just speculation.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

I read there is no plan to run limited express types on this stretch of track, though that was just speculation.

Seems that this is true, as the Joban Line portion that served by Chiyoda Line trains are the local ones ("常磐緩行線", otherwise written as "常磐線各駅停車")...

Prior to these tests, the only trains that operated on all the connecting commuter lines on the Tōkyō Metro Chiyoda line were the Tōkyō Metro trains themselves only (6000, 06 and 16000 Series).

This is true, because 6000, 06 and 16000 series trains are equipped with Joban Local Line's ATC-10, Tokyo Metro's New CS-ATC (both of them are actually same), and Odakyu's D-ATS-P (or OM-ATS in the past), in order to serve the inter-running services toward both lines (before this plan was announced by JR East and Odakyu).

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Ah yes, I should have stated the Ltd. Express through servuce was a little dirty fantasy of myself. :P

Except if JR East decided to build a switch at Matsudo Station to allow these trains to enter Joban Rapid Line track :read2: :laughing6: it would be something very odd for Japanese fellows :read2:

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501

Except if JR East decided to build a switch at Matsudo Station to allow these trains to enter Joban Rapid Line track :read2: :laughing6: it would be something very odd for Japanese fellows :read2:

Technically speaking, that switch is already there: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9D%BE%E6%88%B8%E9%A7%85#.E9.85.8D.E7.B7.9A.E5.9B.B3 For a few times per day, this would probably suffice. However, personally I doubt this service would provide much benefit. It would certainly be cool though, as it would be able to run all the way up to Toride with only light modified MSE 60000 train sets (it wouldn't even have to be moved to the rapid tracks in that regard).

Was there any significant through running during JNR?

Yes, the Gotemba line saw several daily Ltd. Express runs of the Asagiri. First with KiHa 5000/5100 DMU units and later with EMU, like the SE 3000 Series 5-car rebuilds. Serious commuter through service was however unheard of.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Technically speaking, that switch is already there: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9D%BE%E6%88%B8%E9%A7%85#.E9.85.8D.E7.B7.9A.E5.9B.B3 For a few times per day, this would probably suffice. However, personally I doubt this service would provide much benefit. It would certainly be cool though, as it would be able to run all the way up to Toride with only light modified MSE 60000 train sets (it wouldn't even have to be moved to the rapid tracks in that regard).

But of course that when you want to change from Joban Local tracks (ATC-10) to Joban Rapid tracks (ATS-P), you required to perform manual change from ATC to ATS, and reverse...

The cooperation with JR East and Odakyū is however quite surprising, as these two companies always had a very strong competition going on between the Shōnan area (Odawara (Hakone) & Fujisawa (Enoshima)) and the central Tokyo Metropolitan area (Shinjuku).

True (in my opinion) if you're talking travelling all the way from Odawara or the Enoshima/Fujizawa area to Shinjuku. But Odakyu and JR East travel on such divergent routes in between I wouldn't say there's real competition since JR East will pick up passengers along the Tokaidō Main Line and Odakyu will pick up passengers along its own route on the Odawara Line.

But getting back on topic, I believe both Odakyu and JR East are doing this because Tokyo Metro will phase out most of their old 6000 Series EMU's (either scrapped or sold to Indonesia).

And of course, running limited express services on a line equipped with CBTC, pretty much defeats the purpose of such a line (which is to lower the headways in a straight metro-style setup).  Once you get different types of services with varying stopping patterns on a single direction of track, you're venturing into an area where digital ATC or ATACS will be the better solution.

Edited by bikkuri bahn