Wide view Hilda vs limited express thunderbird

Steve4031

Why not ride both? You can do a big loop of central Japan using the combination of both trains, though you'll have to ride the Shinkansen between Toyama and Kanazawa.

Hida, not Hilda.

Takayama line is a beautiful line with a lot of single track. Takayama city is worth a stop.

Thunderbird is a nice LEX train. Kanazawa has a beautiful park. The best choice is to do both lines.

Edited by Kitayama

Ridden both many times but to me the T-Bird always just feels like a means to get somewhere quickly even though the 683 is one of my favorite trains, but the Hida is a train trip to take simply for the pleasure of travelling and viewing the scenery.

What I am looking forward to when I go to Japan next spring is riding the 683 that have been displaced off the T-Bird and Shirasagi LEX by the opening of the Hokutsu Shinkasen and that are now appearing on the Kuroshio from Kyoto to Shingu - another great train trip for the pleasure of travelling and viewing the scenery.

As an aside, the Kuroshio is the only LEX I have ridden that had posted emergency instructions for what to do if a tsunami warning is given and the train comes to a stop.

Train Cruise Episode 3 has the Wide View Hida in it if you wanna do some research into it.

I don't believe Hilda is in the episode though.

Edited by katoftw

Definitely Wide View Hida. It's called wide view for a reason... I rode this ride back in 2012 and the scenery is awesome! I rode the thunderbird this year from Kanazawa to Osaka and well... It's a nice LEX train to get quickly from A to B but not too quickly like the shinkansen and still get a good scenery view along the way... Still it's not as cool and nice as the Hida with the mountainous routes with plently of greenery and rivers...