JR Central orders more N700A Shinkansen trains

And the saddening news to this is in the last parts of the sentence:

CENTRAL Japan Railway Company (JR Central) confirmed on October 22 that it will receive a further 20 N700A series Shinkansen trains between fiscal 2016 and fiscal 2019 to replace the last of its remaining 700 series sets, which will be withdrawn by the end of the decade.

Yes, rolling stocks on the Tokaido/ Sanyo line IS getting boring.... Don't get me wrong, I like the N700 but some variety is always welcomed....

There's one reason why JR Central will retire the original 700 Series trainsets: they can't travel through curved track--especially east of Atami Station on the Tokaidō Shinkansen line--as the N700/N700A trainsets. I think this is in preparation for allowing JR Central and JR West N700A trainsets to run as high as 300 km/h between Kyoto and Maibara and Toyohashi to Shizuoka on the Tokaidō line.

Wikipedia says that JR West also owns some 700 series Shinkansen sets, which are used for Hikari services between Tokyo and Hakata. But is this information still up-to-date? In other words, does this mean that from 2020 (mind you, just in time for the Tokyo Olympics) only N700(A) sets will be running on the Tokaido Shinkansen? I reckon the Sanyo Shinkansen will still see 700 series at that time, considering JR West still hasn't retired the 500 series yet even though JR Central already did so years ago and also because according to Wikipedia there are now 72 700 series sets in service (JR Central and JR West together) and that replacing 72 sets is a bit difficult if you only order 20 new N700A sets.

According to wiki, it seems the first of the 700 series, the 700-0, were introduced from March 1999, that will mean by 2019 they will be facing the axe....

The JR West Hikari Rail Star 700-7000 sets were delivered and in service from 11 March 2000, which will mean by 2020 they probably will face he axe too...

The 500 series were in service from March 1997, so technically they too are facing the axe in 2017... But the 500 series is so nice and popular they might be extended, and with the new EVA livery which is gaining huge attention and interest, this might just do the 500 series more justice for a longer life...

Now Sanyo / Tokaido shinkansen will be mainly N700s and boring white and blue...

Now Sanyo / Tokaido shinkansen will be mainly N700s and boring white and blue...

You get a gold stripe also between Shin-Osaka and Kagoshima. haha

Gonna make those 800s even more appealing out west.

On the contiguous Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations, I believe the 500's and 700's will all be gone by 2017. That 500 Series trainset done in the special Evangalion livery will end operations in March 2017, the same time the last of the 500's are being retired. From March 2017 on, it will be down to:

700 between Tokyo and (likely) Shin-Osaka Stations, to be retired and replaced by N700/N700A trainsets

N700/N700A between Tokyo and Hakata Stations

N700-8000 between Shin-Osaka and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations

800 between Hakata and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations

I expect the N700-8000's to be refurbished to run the full 300 km/h speed between Hakata and Shin-Osaka Stations fairly soon (I believe they're limited to 285 km/h now). The 800's will be limited to Hakata to Kagoshima-Chūō because of the lower Kyushu Shinkansen speed limit (only 260 km/h).

On the contiguous Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations, I believe the 500's and 700's will all be gone by 2017. That 500 Series trainset done in the special Evangalion livery will end operations in March 2017, the same time the last of the 500's are being retired. From March 2017 on, it will be down to:

700 between Tokyo and (likely) Shin-Osaka Stations, to be retired and replaced by N700/N700A trainsets

N700/N700A between Tokyo and Hakata Stations

N700-8000 between Shin-Osaka and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations

800 between Hakata and Kagoshima-Chūō Stations

I expect the N700-8000's to be refurbished to run the full 300 km/h speed between Hakata and Shin-Osaka Stations fairly soon (I believe they're limited to 285 km/h now). The 800's will be limited to Hakata to Kagoshima-Chūō because of the lower Kyushu Shinkansen speed limit (only 260 km/h).

Wow! Do you have a crystal ball or something?  That is an amazing prediction! haha

You failed to mention the N700-7000s JR West owns.  What will they do with those?

Wow! Do you have a crystal ball or something?  That is an amazing prediction! haha

You failed to mention the N700-7000s JR West owns.  What will they do with those?

Hehe ~ I think you meant 700-7000 Railstar?

They were produced and into service in 2000, so I guess it's 2020 for them? It will be sad too to see the Railstar go... It's got a really nice colour scheme...

I read that the 800 series were limited to Kyushu because of it's excellent gradability?