How many Decoder Functions do I need? Noob Questions

Kamome

I have absolutely no experience of DCC and am hoping to build a layout using it for various reasons

-The simpler track wiring required (in most cases)

-The functionality and sense of realism you can get.

-DCC seems to be here to stay unlike ideas such as HD DVD and Betamax

I will obviously start with some of the Kato DCC ready sets to get a better understanding and relatively instant results once I start converting.

When I am looking for decoders that need hard wiring, how many functions would I need on a decoder for the following example?

Kato Kiha 40 rail car - single car

-Motor

-Headlights both ends

-Tail lights both ends

-Internal Lighting

Is it easier and possible to control these functions through one decoder?

Kato Kiha 40 rail car - single car

-Motor

-Headlights both ends

-Tail lights both ends

-Internal Lighting

Is it easier and possible to control these functions through one decoder?

yes you can,

you need a motor decoder with four functions

1 motor output for the motor

1 function will pilot one headlight and one tail  light that you need to wire in series

1 function will pilot the remaining headlight and tail light that will be wired in series

1 function will pilot the internal light

Edited by Melandir

Kato's japanse prototype DCC ready sets can only use Kato decoders, which is nice, but they are either motor, headlight or internal light only. This means 4 decoders are needed in one car, which seems unlikely to be supported. European Kato models have the 6 pin socket, which has only 2 function outputs. This means the car in question could be a DCC ready set, which means it's possible to wire in a decoder, but that's not a drop in solution.

For easy DCC installation, i would suggest getting models that support either the Kato or the standard 6 pin decoders. Imho soldering 8 wire, 3 functions decoders with wiring locations across the whole car and modifications required to the head/tail light assemblies can wait until one is more comfortable with DCC installations and electronics in general.

For a head/tail/internal light double ended motor car there are three possibilities:

-motor decoder with 2 functions (headlight forward/taillight backward, headlight backward/taillight forward, internal light connected with series diodes to both light outputs)

-motor decoder with 3 functions (headlight forward/taillight backward, headlight backward/taillight forward, internal light)

-motor decoder with 5 functions (one dedicated output for each head/tail/internal light, this allows the turning off of lights in consists)

Many thanks Melandir and KVP.

As mentioned I'm new to the concept with zero experience in this area so your explanations are a big help and clear up my misconceptions of DCC.

This particular model will probably be one of the last to convert until I'm more confident with wiring in a small scale.

Thank you both again