Transfer table pictures

Atobit

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to add a transfer table to the layout I'm planning.

I can't pictures of transfer table that are use in Japan, if there is any?

Do you have link or pictures you could share?

Regards

Claude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IIRC 'transfer table' is called a 'traverser' in UK English (Japanese railway terminology: トラバーサー).

And yes, they can be found all around major depots of any large railway company or places where there is no space to spare (Arakawa line depot).

1106125026.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Tony, it is what I was looking for!

I was not sure about the Japanese name but now it is clear.

I had a quick look in Google, in particular in the Kinetsu network, seems there is no standard in the design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Atobit

IIRC 'transfer table' is called a 'traverser' in UK English (Japanese railway terminology: トラバーサー).

Aha, makese sense, I was thinking along completely different lines. I don't recall hearing about any in the UK, though I've seen pictures of one in France.

Aha, makese sense, I was thinking along completely different lines. I don't recall hearing about any in the UK, though I've seen pictures of one in France.

Crewe had/has one:

img008_000.jpg

• Like 1

Crewe had/has one:

Cool. I still have absolutely no memories of them, but then at the time I was actively interested in British railways, the internet was still in the future so I guess there was a lot I never heard about.

Thanks for the kanji term! Lots more photo references.

We should make a database list of UK US and Japanese railway terminology equivalents... An open source Google Docs maybe? ;)

• Like 3

Ohhhh that's a great thought! Really makes searching better for us no Japanese speakers! Google translate works sometimes, but not perfect!

Cheers

Jeff

Turntables are great... but I do love the parallelism of transfer tables and the fact that you don't need a wide arc/radius to fit one in a shunting layout.

Transfer tables are used the same way for parallel track sheds as turntables are used for roundhouses. Btw. there was at least one long enough to take multiple emu cars somewhere around Stewarts Lane, but i've only seen it on some old movies.

Same here, transfer table and long train she'd like this facility. Also want a small one for trams for ttrak, very handy there!

Inobu, ha that's where the old walthers transfer table is headed to! The threaded stock drive still seems like the best mechanism.

Atobit, what are you thinking of using for a mechanism?

Jeff

Two models were made in N scale, from Minitrix and Brawa.

From the prictures I've seens, The Brawa is the one that looks closer to what I saw on pictures from Japan, though the Minitrix one seems to be more versatile.

Anyway, both models are very difficult to find.

If you have one of them, please let me know.

if no finds, I'll have to see how I can modify/use the one from Walthers Marklin in HO, as it is the only one available in the market, per my knowledge.

Edited by Atobit

That wild! Looks like a small engine to move it. Not seen the large outrigger wheels like that. Helps keep from having such a deep pit.

The minitrix and brawa come up on ebay but usually $250+ and not always in great shape. There are a couple of small companies that had produced small transfer tables in the us but not seen them in a while. There was a Japanese one as well (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6283-transfer-table/) that seems no longer available. walthers had the inexpensive ho cornerstone model, but that tripled in price a few years back and I'm not sure what changed in it. I had the old cornerstone that I got 10+ years back. It was a simple system with a long threaded rod running under a slot in the pit. The table had a finger that moved on the threaded rod. Then geared motor at one end onto the threaded rod. Very simple. Track power wire can up the finger and also travel thru the slot.

Some of the thin girder bridge elements can be used for the sides.

Jeff

At least one real example used overhead wires and a bow collector to power the motors. I have seen photos of one in the old GWR works at Swindon using that setup.

It might be worth a browse on Google Earth for any surviving examples, I know the museums at Didcot and Crich (GWR and tramway respectively) have them. The Didcot one does seem to have a small rod-coupled 0-4-0 loco to move the table!

Another one, from the depot of the Budapest cog wheel railway:

tolopad.jpg

(side wheels and a funny power system)

And a larger, covered one from a maintenance shop:

2013-09-01_18656.jpg

(the 4 funny poles on top are for the three phase motors)

• Like 2

I found photos of another exceptional transfer table, this one in Hagalund, Sweden, just outside of Stockholm. The shop was built around 1930 to serve as the SJ's main electric traction backshop. Being Sweden, the transfer table is completely covered, but what a space! The shop is still there so presumably it still exists. Anyone have any contacts over there? I'd love to get into this shop...

http://www.samlingsportalen.se/all/CgiText-GetRecord?Table=fg_Foton&QID=-1744454776&Formname=/all/fgblktpct.htm&Incl=0000000000051&Recnr=360

http://www.samlingsportalen.se/all/CgiText-GetRecord?Table=fg_Foton&QID=-1744454776&Formname=/all/fgblktpct.htm&Incl=0000000000051&Recnr=222

http://www.samlingsportalen.se/all/CgiText-GetRecord?Table=fg_Foton&QID=-1744454776&Formname=/all/fgblktpct.htm&Incl=0000000000051&Recnr=223

http://www.samlingsportalen.se/all/CgiText-GetRecord?Table=fg_Foton&QID=-1744454776&Formname=/all/fgblktpct.htm&Incl=0000000000051&Recnr=224

The photos all come from Trafikverket's (SJ's) archives. Beware! There are many, many outstanding photos available. Be prepared to spend some time here.

i think there might be a small problem:

Internt fel:
Posten finns inte i databasen - fel i länken
Kontakta administratören

Back

I got an error trying to open the links.

I got to the main site, and noticed the Bilder tag, but then read, "Över 140 000 bilder", and decided I didn't want to wade through all of them.

post-941-0-57601500-1452267106_thumb.png