Driven axles on KiHa 20... KiHa 52 KiHa 40...

hans-diesel

Imho there were no true married pairs like for the DC motor units, just dual, single and cabless cars usable in a mix and match fashion. 

I think the kiha 66/67 units were always used as married pairs afaik, 66-1 always connected to 67-1 and all that.  Though JNR only built 30 of the type, canceling the rest of a larger planed production, so who knows what would have happened if they had become commonplace. 

I was wondering about mail DMUs though, as I just won a TOMIX キユ25形 from buyee and although I don't have any kiha 58 type cars yet, I was planing on getting some of the tomix kiha 47 series when they come out later this year.  Would a mail car ever be run with such a type, or were they more for express trains?

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

They did, at least in Shikoku.

Thanks for the photos, I guess JNR really does have a prototype for everything!  Hm, maybe I should get some more DMU's for variety then.

sectionmaster

That was it!   it's a KiHa 25, not 52.  found the mate and splurged and got the combine (half coach-half baggage/mail) unit as well.  Variety...love it.  thanks  Welshbloke & katoftw.