JNSWiki question - where to list available models

It seems like it would be helpful to include a list of models for each EMU series, limited express, shinkansen model, etc, etc. But I'm not sure where this info should be placed. Should that list become a standard section on the page for each rolling-stock type?

Don should be in here to reply shortly. I think we're going to use model titles as "JNR Class EF58 (Model)" to denote a model from the prototype. The problem at the moment is that there really are no Wikipedia pages dedicated to the actual models, as a result they need to be written from scratch, something that takes a good bit of time, espeically since we want the articles to conform to Wikipedia standards.

Darren Jeffries

Don should be in here to reply shortly. I think we're going to use model titles as "JNR Class EF58 (Model)" to denote a model from the prototype. The problem at the moment is that there really are no Wikipedia pages dedicated to the actual models, as a result they need to be written from scratch, something that takes a good bit of time, espeically since we want the articles to conform to Wikipedia standards.

At the bottom (?) of each prototype's pages, can't you just have a section called 'Models Available' or something similar ?

Exactly what i was thinking. We could have a section a bit like a "see also" with links to relavant pages with model information.

CaptOblivious

Here is how I was thinking we could do it.

Reference models on the prototype's page, e.g. at the bottom of

http://wiki.jnsforum.com/wiki/JNR_Class_EF66

And then, in the See Also section (or maybe it needs its own section?) a link to

http://wiki.jnsforum.com/wiki/JNR_Class_EF66_(model)

Don't take the actual EF66 model page as a good page, though! I just threw that together, and I hate it. We need to work out how the model pages should work, but I think they warrant their own page, because I'd like to include lots of information on each model: replacement part numbers, DCC conversions, minimum radius, other models they would pair well with (if a loco), etc.

Hope that helps?

And then, in the See Also section (or maybe it needs its own section?)

It'd probably be better to have a specific section for models, rather than lumping them into "see also."

That's sort of my thought, but the "see also" would use the standard [[ ]] wiki link so chances are if you type in to the search box EF66, it is going to offer you the option of EFF 66 prototype or model, unless of course you hit go, then by default it will probably go straight to the prototype page. The link at the end of the page has one problem, that link is only going to go to one page, there would need to be multiple links in the case that the model is made my several manufactures.

The other option is just to include the actual model of the train in the main article itself rather than a separate page, but the amount of detail would be less to keep the page from mushrooming in to a monster.

==HISTORY==

==LINES==

==MODEL==

N-scale (or other scale) model information

Capt is taking point on style guide, wiki standards and overall article conformity.

CaptOblivious

I'm not wed to using the See Also section, not by a long shot. If y'all think that a seperate Model section is the place to start, that is good. I do think that even if some info is listed on the prototype page that generally having seperate pages for the models is a good idea.

I hope the model articles are going to be just 'factual' - from what I have seen so far, it is already becoming far too personal and subjective ....

Subjective?? All three drafts? Unless there has been a run on new model articles from the hand few of people working/contributing to the wiki since I went to bed last night, the only thing on there at the moment are rough drafts that have been used to fresh out formatting.

Since there are roughly 8019 articles from the main Wiki pertaining to the prototypes and operations to import, with only three active people working on the import and back end of the coding and integration, you are more than welcomed to contribute to the wiki.

CaptOblivious

I hope the model articles are going to be just 'factual' - from what I have seen so far, it is already becoming far too personal and subjective ....

Could provide some links? We aim to maintain the same level of objectivity and "factualness" as Wikipedia, without subjective opinion. I'm not aware of any articles that are "personal and subjective", let alone overly much so.

Darren Jeffries

Speaking entirely objectively as someone who has NOT been a major contributor to the wiki (except maybe the webspace ;-)), I have looked at the articles and cant find anything subjective and personal at all. But i am happy to be proved wrong about this, so by all means please do let us have an example, and we'll endeavour to check it out.

I notice from the logs that you have cleared your cookies so you have now appeared as a "user" on the wiki, so of course, you are more than welcome to chip in and edit or create some articles. That is, after all the point of the wiki.