Oddball formations

Welshbloke

Is this set in service? If yes, which line could this be?

01%20870125%20103%20shinmatsudo.jpg

Edit: apparently it's on the Musashino line

Edited by kvp
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Possibly it's on Musashino Line. The emerald green ones is from Joban Rapid Line, while the orange ones is from Chuo Rapid Line (actually, Musashino Line trains were once allocated to Toyoda Depot, which is the depot of Chuo Rapid Line)

There are some very odd combinations on this diagram from Kato, covering things to do with your KuMoYa 90. I realise that they were tractor units converted from older EMU KuMoHas, but judging by that diagram they seem to have been used with whatever the depot could lay hands on to cover for stock shortages.

I'd researched the 103 Series after noticing that Kato offered a pair of alternate KuHas for the green-liveried set, and wondering why. Of course, they're ATC-fitted so you can model the train before or after its introduction. I'm sorely tempted to start assembling that set after I finish the 165 Series, the add-on coach packs (the KuHas and the extra four) are only about £25-£30 at the moment although the powered set is rather more!

SuRoNeFu 25-501

but judging by that diagram they seem to have been used with whatever the depot could lay hands on to cover for stock shortages.

Based on the description, the diagram is actually representing the formation that used by JNR (the diagram itself is specifically for Tokyo area) for towing a group of EMU cars into or from the workshops, switching inside the depot, or even towing EMU cars that unable to move by its own power due to a technical problem. KuMoYa 90 series cars were the primary tractor cars for handling this job (which is sometimes replaced or supplemented by either KuMoNi, KuMoYuNi or KuMoYa cars from the 143 series, 145 series, 80 series, 72 series, and the others).

On the other hand, the description also says that the tractor cars were also coupled in tandem with revenue-earning EMU for trial run purpose, accompanying the train during the trip for entering or leaving workshops, or even acting as ice-breaker train during the winter season (with the pantograph on tractor cars were used for breaking the ice that could prevent the contact wire from delivering the electric current properly, keeping the revenue-earning train's pantograph to be capable for picking up the electric current)

Ahh!

Part of the problem I have is that when they post a diagram as a JPG I can't copy and paste the text into a translator...

I did think it a bit odd that they'd couple a KuMoYa based on an ancient EMU to a fairly new express unit like a 165 Series (and expect anyone to want to ride in the KuMoYa), that explains it.

Third rail lines do the same thing here. Old EMU coaches are fitted with antifreeze dispensers and brushes, then diesel hauled to remove ice from the conductor rail. This replaced somewhat buccaneering solutions such as a driver who took one look at an iced-up station, jumped in an old two car unit which was used to transport spares and tools, and (after clearing it with the signallers) thrashed it through all the platform roads with sparks and chunks of ice flying everywhere!

Small remark: kumoya's don't have seating for passengers just cargo and workshop space with a few seats left at one end for the crew. In this regard they are more of a cargo unit. They were mainly used as rolling stock tractors though.

The puzzling thing on the Kato model is that it has a body-mounted Tightlock coupler on one end (like their KuMoNi 83-800) and a bogie-mounted Rapido on the other. I'd probably just clip a Tightlock into the non-pantograph end (as I'm standardising on those for my EMUs) but it'll be slightly annoying having the mismatch. I doubt the parts to convert it to a body mount as found on the dummy KuMoYa would be easy to come by!

These things sound even more intriguing with every corrected misconception, and I'll definitely be after one. It'll mean my 115 Series stock can have a run until I lay hands on a MoHa 114, as a KuMoYa dragging a SaHa and KuHa between depots would be plausible. Might mention to relatives in time for my birthday next month...

The reason for mismatching couplers could be that it allows the highest compatibility with different trains while having at least one end with a nicer looking body mounted coupler. On the other hand the rapido allows remote uncoupling which is good for shunting.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Speaking of oddball formation, I found a photo of a very odd Takasaki-based 211 series formation (yes, it was in trial run, but somehow it makes me giggling too much):

201207060027278b9.jpg

:toothy12: :laughing6: :toothy12: :laughing6:

That seems ok. Down south west, imho there seems to be a private operator who regularly ran two double deck cars between two single deck emu motors and mostly in orange paint.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Well, it seems OK on some occasions. But in regular operation, Takasaki Line's 211 series trains were formed with the Green Cars sandwiched between two driving cars...

That seems ok. Down south west, imho there seems to be a private operator who regularly ran two double deck cars between two single deck emu motors and mostly in orange paint.

13724302.jpg

Kintetsu. The largest private railway company in Japan. They run these only as Ltd. Express trains. The example from SuRoNeFu 25-501 (211 Series) is a commuter train.

Here is another variation on the 211 Series:

scn0051_hr400_24.jpg

(source: http://ef58176.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2014/02/0272112n22-ccac.html)

The sign says '快速' (Rapid), but the service number is 試9494M, which is a trial run number. It seems to be a public run (possibly a one-off), as it bears a headmark and people can be seen riding the train.

The Kintetsu 30000 sets can also be seen with the all single deck 12200 and 12400s, there are a few videos on Youtube of these (both two and four car 12200s).

I have a four-car 12200 and a 30000 as B Train Shorties, they're both motorised and run equally happily as a pair or individually.

Kato offer a pair of ATC-equipped KuHa 103s to go with the Yamanote line set, they come with yellow stickers for the cab ends which (if I'm interpreting the instructions correctly) would make them accurate for the Sobu line set. So you'd have green KuHas and the rest yellow!

I'm planning to assemble the Yamanote line set, mostly as it all seems to be fairly cheap at the moment. Have the KuHas on order and will pick up the four car add-on next month (as both are currently on special offer, so I'll grab those first), then the powered set later on.

Edited by Welshbloke

Yep, those are they. Guessing this was a short-term thing while the fleet was being equipped with ATC?

Ordered the four car set last night, the powered one will probably have to wait until late December though. Judging by these shots I can find plenty of things to do with six 103 Series cars until then, my Kokuden 103 could easily handle the MoHa pair for a start. If I do end up with a KuMoYa I can run it with SaHa-MoHa-MoHa-KuHa as a part set being taken for overhaul.

Yes, that rail line has an interesting collection of older DMU's.

By the way, for those who want to see what it's like to travel on the Minato Line, YouTube member Japan Train Viewing has shot several months ago a zenmen tenbou video of a trip on that line:

• Like 1