Kato 115-1000 Nagano Close Coupling Options

profjiang

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to Japanese N Scale.  I have a question regarding close coupling options for Kato 115-1000 series Nagano, product #10-585.  As purchased, the model uses enormous bogie-mounted couplers between cars and the distance between the cars is too far to look good.  Are there options for other coupler styles or bogies that allow for other couplers and smaller spacing between cars.  It looks like Tomix offers a 115-300 series with close, body-mounted coupling.  If I had to, I suppose I could sell these and get the Tomix 115-300 instead, though I would prefer not to.  Any ideas?

Thank you very much

There are bogie mounted close couplers for this set. They are smaller and leave a smaller gap. Full close coupling is available with Tomix TM couplers, but the Kato close couplers aren't that bad either, but they are still bogie mounted. Someone here will surely know the right part number for them. It's a simple coupler swap to change them back and forth.

ps: These big couplers are called Arnold Rapido and are the oldest working N scale couplers. They allow shunting and remote uncoupling, which is not available with any close couplers. Many models come with them, but most are upgradable to some type of close coupler.

Thank you for the info.  With that in mind, I looked around & found a Kato part 11-703, Tight Lock Coupler Type A for Arnold Pocket.  Does anyone think this one will work?

Thanks!