Help on how to use a DenshaDeGo controller

Dani

Hello,

I'm doing some inventions interfacing an Arduino with my Loconet network. The last one is to connect a PSX DenshaDeGo controller to be able to drive trains with it.

I arrived at the point where I can read the state/position of all levers and buttons of the controller connected to the Arduino, and send the corresponding commands through Loconet to manage a locomotive, accelerate, break, activate a function or switch its direction. Here it is a test video:

But as I never had the chance to play DenshaDeGo with this kind of controller, I don't know what's the exact behaviour of each of the levers. Is the left lever just a gear change, or an accelerator? And the right lever, does it act as a break or both accelerator (in the blue zone) and break (in the red zone)?

If someone could explain me the right behaviour, I will be able to program it in the right way. Thanks in advance,

Dani

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1

The left one is the accelerator, the right one is the brake. On the left lever, the top position is the idle, the bottom is the full power. On the right one, the top left is the brakes off, the top right (red bar) is the emergency brake/parking brake. You speed up with the left one, coast in 0, then slow down with the right one. Then when you stopped, you put it into the red bar (top right) to park the train before opening the doors. Don't accelearte before the brakes are fully off (top left).

ps: There is no gear change on Japanese emu-s or dmu-s, as the emu-s are direct drive with fixed gearing and the dmu-s are diesel hydraulic.

• Like 1

The left one is the accelerator, the right one is the brake. On the left lever, the top position is the idle, the bottom is the full power. On the right one, the top left is the brakes off, the top right (red bar) is the emergency brake/parking brake. You speed up with the left one, coast in 0, then slow down with the right one. Then when you stopped, you put it into the red bar (top right) to park the train before opening the doors. Don't accelearte before the brakes are fully off (top left).

ps: There is no gear change on Japanese emu-s or dmu-s, as the emu-s are direct drive with fixed gearing and the dmu-s are diesel hydraulic.

Sorry to contradict you, but several classes of Japanese diesel railcars change gears. However most modern units do that automatically.

Cheers NB

Sorry to contradict you, but several classes of Japanese diesel railcars change gears. However most modern units do that automatically.

Cheers NB

Yeah when I moved to Japan I thought all diesels were really diesel-electric, which I think is mostly true here in the States.  When I started riding KIHA40s, I thought "is this thing shifting?"  I suppose DE10s and DD51s do too, but they wouldn't let me ride in the cab.  Pfft!

The only change in modern units (from kiha40s) is when the slipping hydraulic clutch used for starting is bypassed by the fixed connection mechanical one to increase efficiency. Older types are fully hydraulic and like most automatic torque converters, there is no gear change lever. There are mechanical gears for direction on all and shunting/mainline mode on older locos (like on the de10). Changes in acceleration can be detected both during the engaging of the direct mechanical clutch and during blade position changes usually controlled by a (mechanical or electronic) governor. It's a fairly simple and reliable system.

Hello,

Thanks a lot to all for the information, now the controller works in the right way. I love to drive my trains with it and "play Densha De Go" with my N scale trains!!!

Now I'll add a little display and keyboard to select locomotives and play sounds (like some Tomix controllers), and publish the source code for anybody who wants it.

Toni, I love that video, charming!!

Cheers,

Dani

• Like 2