What type of bogie is this and is it available in N scale ?

wintimtim

For a custom job I am working on, model BFA-32M, built in Japan by Hitachi-Mitsubishi, I need to know what type of bogie this is and if it is available from one of the Japanese manufacturers in N scale ? Thank you, Tim

post-3383-0-62290100-1440592368_thumb.jpg

Edited by wintimtim

Is this on the Japanese-built Bolivian diesels?  I think it's custom for those locos.

I agree - like so much Japanese export rolling stock, this is a one-off. I have looked in my modelling catalogs and haven't found a single similar design under any domestic Japanese locomotive. The best alternative would be to use the bogies off a EF81 or EF 64.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

The best alternative would be to use the bogies off a EF81 or EF 64.

Cheers NB

I checked these, they are too big (wheel space). yeah scratch building or 3D printing seems to be the way to go. Thank you, Tim  

Why not write the Bolivia railway and ask them directly. You might add $3 U.S. Dollars for return postage.

Edited by Kb4iuj
  • Like 1

Why not write the Bolivia railway and ask them directly. You might add $3 U.S. Dollars for return postage.

I already tried several times on their FB page and via email and did not get a single answer. I could try the old fashion way and send them a letter, good idea. Thank you, Tim 

Tim,

might check with the consulate in DC to see if they might know a direct contact. sometimes consulate staff like doing these sorts of things, other times they could care less, but worth a shot.

jeff

• Like 1

If you want to go the easy way, I'd say just use the EF81 bogies, as they look similar, apart from the frame, which is straight. It's a strange and rare bent frame in this example, of which are no prototypes IIRC on Japanese railways (except maybe Enoden).

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Nah, bent frames are quite common, especially on older emu designs.  Take a look at Odakyu and Seibu bogies.  The coil spring secondary suspension is not in vogue anymore though.

• Like 2

If you want to go the easy way, I'd say just use the EF81 bogies, as they look similar, apart from the frame, which is straight. It's a strange and rare bent frame in this example, of which are no prototypes IIRC on Japanese railways (except maybe Enoden).

Yes I have to buy a whole EF81 as well it seems to get numbers to fill the holes on the EF81 body shells I was able to buy on ebay. Then I will have a closer look at the EF81 bogies. They look bigger than the ones on the DF50 but I will sort something out. That will be a challenge to stretch the DF50 chassis to get the right length (that chassis looks very much the same as the one used in the EMD F40PH. I will also have a closer look at the Odakyu and Seibu bogies. Thank you all for your help, very appreciated, Tim

• Like 1

Nah, bent frames are quite common, especially on older emu designs. Take a look at Odakyu and Seibu bogies. The coil spring secondary suspension is not in vogue anymore though.

Ah! I completely forgot about the FS-types. Thanks for that. Because of all that DMU rumble in my mind, I keep on concentrating on T-types...