Some questions that disturbed my mind..

Robert46

Hi Everyone,

I have several questions that disturbed my mind, and need your comments on them.

Here they are as following:

1. If we just run Tomix shinkansen full 12 or 16 car set (equipped with two motor cars) with only one motor for long term, do you think it will be just fine for that one motor along with its mechanical parts to survive? Let's say on your Tomix set, one motored car having issue like noisy, coughing, squeaky, etc, this is because when you purchased the items you have the first basic set as new, everything is just fine and the add-on set with motor is used item and when you received it, the add-on motor car doesn't work well, thus you decided to just use one motor car for the full set.

Of course if you buy all 12 or 16 car set in one go as new it will be different case and you can happily run the set as it is.

As we all know that Tomix provides two motor cars in one consist of 16 car set, both for older sets or newer sets. So I assumed they designed the sets should run fine if we used two motors, but it might not perform well or might be having issue if we only run using one of the motors especially for long term purpose. The motor, gears and even the traction tires on one that car will be overloaded and wears out immediately.

I compared with Kato, they only provide with one motor for full 16 car set such as 500series, 700series and N700series, so no matter what you get, you just depends on that motor.. although in some cases, multiple working sets like E5/E6, E3/E4 or E2/E3 are clearly using two motors in total.

Let me know what you think with the above case?

2. In Tomix sets, especially older sets, I noted that the sets came without decals or markings, I use some of my models for example: The 300 series old set 92369 or E1 Max old set 92059 came without dry transfer sheets, even there are no car numbers attached.. Unlike the newer sets 300 series 92869 and E1 Max new color 98903 did came with dry transfer sheets, although there is still no car numbers attached on E1 Max new.

Any idea why Tomix didn't provide the decals on older sets?

Can you please share the links or web if we are about to find out the decals and destination boards marking? Will it be the third party products?

3. I was wondering if there is any of you ever tried to re-model or re-livery the sets by yourself? For example, you created your own E926 East-i Inspection Train using the Kato E3 Akita? note that the number of pantographs on East-i are three units.. or you make a re-paint version from E1 Max old color into E1 Max new color or vice versa for example?

Or, more extreme, you scratch build a never release shinkansen series? Btw, is there any series that is still not released by Manufacturers? Perhaps some experimental trains or pre-production series?

Look forward to hearing from you.. Thanks.. :)

Martijn Meerts

If you have a set with 2 motor cars, both motor cars should be performing about equally, otherwise you'll run into various issues. For example, if 1 motor car is faster than the other, in curves your train might derail. If you a set where performance is entirely different, you could try removing the motor and gears, but the car will still be heavy and not run very smooth, so the single motor car you have left might not perform well.

It'd be better to get new motors for both motor cars in this case, if possible.

• Like 1
NuclearErick

3. I was wondering if there is any of you ever tried to re-model or re-livery the sets by yourself? For example, you created your own E926 East-i Inspection Train using the Kato E3 Akita? note that the number of pantographs on East-i are three units.. or you make a re-paint version from E1 Max old color into E1 Max new color or vice versa for example?

Or, more extreme, you scratch build a never release shinkansen series? Btw, is there any series that is still not released by Manufacturers? Perhaps some experimental trains or pre-production series?

Look forward to hearing from you.. Thanks.. :)

http://homepage3.nifty.com/ho-tec/index.html

have fun :D

• Like 2

With regard to the motors, check the brushes.

If the motors are open-frame (as opposed to cans) then you may well be able to pull the brush holders out and clean everything. That works wonders on older motors as the brushes tend to get gummed into the holders with a mix of oil, carbon, and general gunk. Take them apart, clean with lighter fluid and a paper towel (roll a corner into a point, then pull it through the holder to clean the inside), reassemble.

My lone Tomix Shinkansen (a 500 Series) has ended up with two power cars for a six coach train thanks to my only being able to find a couple of the single add-on coaches and the second power car to augment the basic set. Should probably fish it out and give it some running/tuning as it sounded a bit rough last time.

• Like 1

If you have a set with 2 motor cars, both motor cars should be performing about equally, otherwise you'll run into various issues. For example, if 1 motor car is faster than the other, in curves your train might derail. If you a set where performance is entirely different, you could try removing the motor and gears, but the car will still be heavy and not run very smooth, so the single motor car you have left might not perform well.

It'd be better to get new motors for both motor cars in this case, if possible.

Hi Martijn,

I understand that.. That's why I am asking if we just used one motor car.. I also ever thought of changing the motored car metal chassis with the non motor car chassis which will reduce the weight..  Would be very happy if Tomix can help to provide the reserve motors..

I also have a thought that Tomix cars are heavier than Kato, Tomix on their non motor car bogies still using screws and the motor car metal chassis are too heavy.. Kato on the other hand can achieved lighter cars because they don't use screws and less metal used  for chassis.

I guess running with one motor although will have lower performance is still fine too (if you are okay with it :P ), as long as the assy parts like trucks, gears, connector rods are available. and we can rely on one motor only until it becomes out of service and find the new replacement... but again, it's Tomix, not that easy.. :)

Hi Erick,

Woow... that's really a fantastic stuff, wondering you always have good sources.. I wish I could talk with the blog owner.. all models are just fantastic.. the E1 head/tail lights are just the same with real prototype. The E3 Toreiyu, fantastic detailed interiors just like the real one, even the tatami style and foot bath are there, I want it so bad.. even Kato model is left far behind if compared with that modeller's work.. :P

With regard to the motors, check the brushes.

If the motors are open-frame (as opposed to cans) then you may well be able to pull the brush holders out and clean everything. That works wonders on older motors as the brushes tend to get gummed into the holders with a mix of oil, carbon, and general gunk. Take them apart, clean with lighter fluid and a paper towel (roll a corner into a point, then pull it through the holder to clean the inside), reassemble.

My lone Tomix Shinkansen (a 500 Series) has ended up with two power cars for a six coach train thanks to my only being able to find a couple of the single add-on coaches and the second power car to augment the basic set. Should probably fish it out and give it some running/tuning as it sounded a bit rough last time.

Hi Welshbloke,

Thanks for your tips, that will work for older sets which normally have open-framed motors, but not with the newer sets which have can-motors.. One of the reasons I posted this topic is because Tomix is not easy to deal with assy parts or reserve motors.. unlike Kato. :)

Martijn Meerts

Tomix does have a lot of spare parts, but I don't think they're in production all year round, so sometimes it takes a while to get certain parts. Some trains also seem to have unique parts which are hard to get (for example, I have an EF510 with a broken/missing drive shaft, and the shafts used seem to be unique to the EF510. Haven't been able to get a new one ordered in years already)

Tomix motors should be relatively easy to get, they tend to be in production quite often. Again though, some trains have more unique motors (or at least, more unique construction of motor/flywheel/gears), making those a bit more difficult to get.

Tomix does have a lot of spare parts, but I don't think they're in production all year round, so sometimes it takes a while to get certain parts. Some trains also seem to have unique parts which are hard to get (for example, I have an EF510 with a broken/missing drive shaft, and the shafts used seem to be unique to the EF510. Haven't been able to get a new one ordered in years already)

Tomix motors should be relatively easy to get, they tend to be in production quite often. Again though, some trains have more unique motors (or at least, more unique construction of motor/flywheel/gears), making those a bit more difficult to get.

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/parts/nzaiko.pdf

The EF510 axles as of the 31st of July were in stock.

Edited by katoftw
Martijn Meerts

Hmm... Guess it might just be hobby search that doesn't have them then. I'm supposed to get a notification mail when they get them in stock... Of course, that system might not work 100% either ;)

I don't think hobby search will put much effort in for a 200 yen part.  I had to contact them directly (after waiting months) when I wanted a 600 yen Tomix part.  They had the part 3 days later.

Or ask Dave or Nariichi?

Edited by katoftw

Tomix seem to be much harder to find outside Japan than Kato.

Still looking for part numbers for a 211-0 which now turns out to be missing one driveshaft, the worm gear/UJ cup, most of the gears from the bogie at that end, a pantograph, and three of the pickup springs for the two cab cars.

On the plus side the motor runs and the lights work, now that I've cleaned everything and swapped some springs around so both cab cars have pickups on one bogie (as opposed to one with a complete set and the other with one lone spring)!

Not sure if you can get parts for multiple unit drive mechanisms, they seem only to sell the entire chassis as a replacement.

Yep, but those seem near-impossible to find as well! I can see the Tomytec ones but not the standard range.

A complete chassis would solve all my problems apart from the pantograph, as I could then swipe the pickup springs from the old chassis to replace the missing ones on the cab cars. I have a feeling that it's a 20m chassis, do these all use the same bogie wheelbase and mainframe? The bogie frames, underframe detail and interior from mine are all in good condition so I could easily swap them onto a donor chassis.

At one point they were popular for remotoring British N Scale multiple units, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside thanks to Dapol and Bachmann/Farish having introduced comparable motorised chassis of their own.

The Tomix chassis parts are custom ones for each type of unit, with below-floor motor and appropriate seating, in contrast to the Tomytec ones which are more generic and where the motor sticks up into the cabin area.

Anyway my Tomix parts catalogue doesn't show a replacement for the 211, but searching Google, Hobbysearch seems to have one here; note they do something funny with the links depending on whether you're in Japan or not; part number is 0638. This Japanese Yahoo answers entry says you could probably get away with a 113/115 chassis (part number 0633, this is listed in my catalogue) as long as you exchange the bogie frames.

If all else fails I guess you could try a Tomytec one but no idea about sizes.

At one point they were popular for remotoring British N Scale multiple units, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside thanks to Dapol and Bachmann/Farish having introduced comparable motorised chassis of their own.

Not very impressive performers compared to Japanese multiple units, alas. That reminds me, I have a Dapol 156 I need to strip down as the seating appears to be pressing down too tightly on part of the mechanism, stopping it from running unless half-dismantled.

Sadly Hobbysearch are showing that chassis as out of stock. The number matches that on my existing chassis although oddly the interior is different, I think mine has the top halves of seats.

I've just cleaned and reassembled the existing chassis, it runs surprisingly well despite only having one end powered. Just wish the shop hadn't pulled the bits out of the second bogie (to get it to run in the absence of the second driveshaft), as I could probably have made a driveshaft of some sort relatively easily from brass rod with a bit of filing. I have the good one to measure from after all.

Dismayed to hear about the Dapol chassis, their factory is about 90mins drive from me and I've been to their factory shop a few times (although they no longer mention it on their website, so I'm not sure if it's still open). I have a GWR 14xx 0-4-2 and a BR Class 73 from them, both of which are very decent performers.