JR West SL D51 200 Restoration for Mainline duty

So I found a snippet of information that this engine is being refurbished for mainline duties. I guess sharing duties with C56 160 at Lake Biwako and C57 1 at Yamaguchi.

Another SL running around is a good thing. But another D51 since there is only one operation currently is even better.

I couldn't find info about it in english pages. Any links or other info others might have?

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Given the large production run of JNR Class D51's, I'm surprised more units aren't back in operation hauling tourist trains. I'd love to see one run on the JR East Ban'etsu East Line from Koriyama to Iwaki.

Does anyone have the March issue of Tetsudou Journal?  There's an article (link below) about JR West restoring D51 200 to a condition suitable for main line running.  As far as I know it had been moving a short tourist train (a ride for kids, basically) back and forth within the yard limits of Umekoji for quite a while.  It would be awesome to see this and a few cars at speed around Osaka and Kobe.  I assume they won't be running it on the Tozai Line :).

http://railf.jp/japan_railfan_magazine/point/659/659-086.html

It's in the March issue of Tetsudo Fan. I don't usually buy that magazine so I took a look at it at the bookstore this evening. Basically the boiler is being rebuilt and tested by outside contractor Sappa Ironworks of Osaka. The boiler is scheduled to be delivered to Umekoji next month.

Episode 7 of The Railway Journal has a small piece on the Sappa Ironworks being done in relation to the D51-200.  It is about 7 minutes into the episode.

Edited by katoftw