Storage Boxes - Locomotives

mattdwnunder

mattdwnunder

I store my rollingstock in the typical book type storage boxes (and then in the Casco JRF type container storage boxes).  I have a not insignificant collection of steam locomotives (mainly newer Kato types).  Any suggestions on a book box or two to use to store my locomotives?

Any suggestions on a book box or two to use to store my locomotives?

Yes, that would be nice. Especially if there was a book for storing full jewel cases, so the locomotives and other small rolling stock could keep their own boxes inside the book.

Yes, that would be nice. Especially if there was a book for storing full jewel cases, so the locomotives and other small rolling stock could keep their own boxes inside the book.

bookcase_m_l2.jpg

Krackel Hopper

I haven't tested it out myself, but I believe most Casco cases are designed to hold locomotive jewel cases.

This question reminded me of a picture I'd seen from HobbySearch.  This case in particular is from the "window" cases.. which are all sold out.. but these window cases are the exact same size/shape as a standard Casco case..

10096792b7.jpg

I have a few cases like this I picked up at the container store on sale. They even have a magnetic clasp and are a bit heavier construction than the regular train cases. They fit loco and car cases pretty well. Only drawback is a small 3/4" lip at the bottom that is there to hold papers in the case, but it can get cut out. Looks like the container store no longer stocks them,mbut they are called folio boxes.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Well, i tried a casco case with all its inlays removed and the standard Tomix jewel case is about 4-5 mm too high. Actually the jewel cases are even higher than the outer plastic sleeve that covers the whole case. (i'm looking for a nice bookcase for my ed75+ohafu50+oha50+oha50+ohafu50 set, right now they are stored in their own jewel cases and would like to keep those, just put the set in a common case) I have the same type of very nice and sturdy jewel case for most of my older jnr freight cars.